Thread: 4759 Substitute

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default 4759 Substitute

Since the discontinuation of 4759 that many 50-SML shooters have enjoyed for years, I’m wondering what other shooters are now using. My first choice is Rel-7 with a 250gr bullet. Surprisingly Rel-7 is a much cleaner burning powder but more is required. Not sure how temp sensitive this powder is but plan some shooting in colder weather.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Besides the 4759 you mention, I've also used Accurate Arms 5744 and VihtaVuori N110 with good results. Both use the same weight (give or take a grain or two) as 4759. Luckily I have a good supply of all three powders. Check out this link for alternatives, and approximate weights for loads.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/ping_pong_balls.htm
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Delmer

Thanks for your response.
    Even though Chuckhawks promoted Alliant 2400 You couldn’t pay me to try this powder again. Had misfires on a humid day. Also, it’s one dirty powder that fouls fast and that’s hard to clean from the bore. As for the rest other than REL-7 I haven’t tried them. For 250gr copper bullets I’m looking at a velocity of 2500fps that will do all I need out to 200yds. Rel-7 will give me that.
    I have about 1-1/2 pounds of 4759 left that I’m burning up testing certain lighter bullet loads. Surprisingly 4759 is a somewhat dirty powder and will be glad to burn it up.

Again thanks for your response.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

These are my reasons for going to Rel-7 with 250gr bullet.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hi i use reloader 7 in my 45 cal (40 with a sabot) find it very accurate and i knurl my bullets powder is not that dirty ,my barrel is a Brux barrel .I believe I posted pictures of the results a few yrs ago

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by overtheir View Post
    Hi i use reloader 7 in my 45 cal (40 with a sabot) find it very accurate and i knurl my bullets powder is not that dirty ,my barrel is a Brux barrel .I believe I posted pictures of the results a few yrs ago
    Thanks for your response. I also find Rel-7 to be a very clean burning powder. It's the cleanest burning powder I have tried so far.
    I too am a firm believer of knurling bullets to get the desired fit and to ensure proper rotational spin, but that's another topic.
    I'm curious to know what bullet/weight you are shooting? I'd like to see if a pressure trace is available for your load.

You appear to have a good handle on your 45cal, so I won't wish you good luck, but good hunting this Fall.