Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOEX Black Powder Could Be Gone Forever

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I prefer real black powder for my replica muzzleloaders (flintlocks, percussion & shotgun). I was able to score 3 lbs of Goex FFG yesterday and 3 lbs of Pyrodex RS. Flintlocks are the ones which really require real black powder to go off, however I have read that if you put about 5-10 grains of black powder in the barrel first....then load Pyrodex, the flintlock will go off fine. I am going to try this. I am guessing it will be a few years before someone starts making black powder again in north america with the Goex plant closure.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
    I prefer real black powder for my replica muzzleloaders (flintlocks, percussion & shotgun). I was able to score 3 lbs of Goex FFG yesterday and 3 lbs of Pyrodex RS. Flintlocks are the ones which really require real black powder to go off, however I have read that if you put about 5-10 grains of black powder in the barrel first....then load Pyrodex, the flintlock will go off fine. I am going to try this. I am guessing it will be a few years before someone starts making black powder again in north america with the Goex plant closure.
    Please try for us, Pyrodex P in the pan to load Pyrodex.

Worst case it will not go bang, but I am curious if it will work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12