View Poll Results: Would you prefer the moderators' names be anonymous?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 37.50%
  • No

15 62.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for new or additional moderators

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Shouldn't be difficult for the volunteer to have permission to a create 'Mod 1' Mod 2' or 'Mod 3' accounts using a Mod Squad avatar. No need for e-mail capability communication can be done on the PM side.

CalTek and Sawbill and a few other Mods used to just remove the offending parts/words (name calling or the nonsense stuff). If they did, they would leave the reason for the editing. Leave the 'OK" part of the post intact. I don't remember anyone having a problem with that.

I've seen a lot more issues with posts just disappearing or being moved..as we saw recently with the now infamous 'Rabies Vaccine' thread. If there is no feedback from the Mod no lessons are learned.
    I don't really like that way Mike. Not trying to argue with you.
    Let's say a post has bad swearing in it. I'd rather edit out the swearing and PM the member explaining why. I don't like to say why in the post and embarrass the member , and open up the thread to fighting about the edit.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I thought we were having a good discussion Saron...no one seems to be arguing, nice for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Due to consistency, the membership knows clearly what is acceptable and what isn't.
    Your earlier concern is the exact reason that you're better off showing the reasons (most times) for necessary editing. It works as a tool to show the members that there is consistency in enforcing the rules and see the ramifications for not following the rules.

You have to admit there was very little of the nonsense, like what goes on here now, under previous Mods. When required, some posts need to be edited and removed if it helps maintain some civility between members.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't embarrass people publicly.
    Yes very little "nonsense" before. Sawbill and Troutslayer did an excellent job as is FFF .
    I'm done here. PM sent.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If we want to retain complete credibility,everything must be open,honest and above board. Having anonymous moderators doesn't meet the definition,IMHO. To me,having someone sit in the shadows with the authority to remove posts and threads without accountability,somehow doesn't quite sit right with me.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

x2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    If we want to retain complete credibility,everything must be open,honest and above board. Having anonymous moderators doesn't meet the definition,IMHO. To me,having someone sit in the shadows with the authority to remove posts and threads without accountability,somehow doesn't quite sit right with me.
    That's true, and I agree...ergo my caveat that posts edited or deleted by a Mod have to provide a reason, whether in the 'edit reason' function already in the s/w or through a PM. Who the Mod is isn't important, just knowing why you were edited. ??

I think there are far bigger problems in knowing who the member is that is the Mod. And I think most guys know what I mean and that is why so few have stepped forward.

I think everyone agrees that it's not working the way it is and the forum is suffering from it. Something has to be done to entice members to become Mods....and one is not to be hated for doing voluntary service.
    Last edited by MikePal; October 12th, 2021 at 07:15 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Im a very experienced mod on a much larger forum then this one. Ive offered once for sure, maybe twice to moderate here as well and received no response.

Its not an easy job, and definitely makes you look at some people differently. The more clearly defined the rules are, the easier job is, but some will still find ways to be a stick in the mud.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Im a very experienced mod on a much larger forum then this one. Ive offered once for sure, maybe twice to moderate here as well and received no response.

Its not an easy job, and definitely makes you look at some people differently. The more clearly defined the rules are, the easier job is, but some will still find ways to be a stick in the mud.
    Hey blasted_saber, you wanna join us as moderator? Please PM stating so.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I've offered to be a moderator before and basically was told no thanks we aren't looking for anyone, Then i see the state that this forum is in and its not hard to see why.
    The sporting dog forum is dead, actual dog trainers with decades of experience that I've run dogs with or know people who do chose to go use the time somewhere else rather then give free advice that people pay for in the real world because they get run off here , upland is the same way I've been told that if you question certain moderators on the legalities of some practices they post you are deleted and warned.
    Certain long time posters on here giving out advice and I see them with the same user name asking the same question on another forum then preaching it here like gospel.... lol makes me laugh at who actual knows what they are are talking about and have done what they are advising here.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trkyhntr21; December 14th, 2021 at 12:33 PM.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trkyhntr21 View Post
    I've offered to be a moderator before and basically was told no thanks we aren't looking for anyone, Then i see the state that this forum is in and its not hard to see why.
    The sporting dog forum is dead, actual dog trainers with decades of experience that I've run dogs with or know people who do chose to go use the time somewhere else rather then give free advice that people pay for in the real world because they get run off here , upland is the same way I've been told that if you question certain moderators on the legalities of some practices they post you are deleted and warned.
    Certain long time posters on here giving out advice and I see them with the same user name asking the same question on another forum then preaching it here like gospel.... lol makes me laugh at who actual knows what they are are talking about and have done what they are advising here.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Were you also told that moderator offered an open invite to the members for a guided upland hunt over his birddog and was insulted to the point where he took down the offer depriving someone the opportunity? That's the stuff mods try to keep on top of to make a better site.
    Belong to an upland site that's heavily monitored. There is great participation because the members don't fear being ridiculed by someone with an opposing point of view. Hope to get there one day with more input from members and a little help on the monitoring side would also be appreciated.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast