Thread: Gear to get started on erie

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Gear to get started on erie

So I am starting with nothing and will have to purchase all new equipment for trolling lake erie. I've fished it lots so I don't think down riggers are necessary. That being said would you suggest running nothing but dipseys or do you have a suggested combination...maybe a couple jets or lead core? Also having to buy new, any suggestion on rod/reels that wont break the bank, I would likely run 4 poles.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

If I were you, I would drive out to Angling Outfitters in Woodstock.
    They specialize in Lake Erie equipment.
    Reels already spooled with Leadcore.
    Planer Boards
    Lures of all colours.
    Clip on weights.
    Trolling Rods
    Dipseys
    Etc.Etc
    Start with two leadcore combo's

I runf riggers and Leadcore.
    Most fish are caught on the Leadcore.
    Clip on weights and Dipseys are also great.
    You can do without Riggers.
    Two planers boards are a must also to keep your lines apart especially if running four or more rods.
    Get the $1000.00 dollars ready for your first shopping run.
    ------------------------------------------
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Absolutely get lead core. Get the ten colours as it’s the most versatile. Lead core constantly out fishies riggers and dipsys on Erie walleye on my boat. With dipsys second place, but riggers have there days too. Lead core for sure.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Great start, I've never ran lead core but I'm sure Ill figure it out. Thanks for the replies.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Penn 209 reel is great for leadcore. Perfect size as it will hold 10 colours of 27lb leadcore. You can use a 309 but I find it a bit too bulky. I like the 18 or 27lb line. 36 and 45lb is like fishing with rope, but it will run deeper due to the extra weight. Medium- heavy rod is my preference. I prefer 7-8 ft rod length. Get some small good quality barrel swivels for joining your leadcore to your tippet. I like about 8 feet of 12lb Trilene XT for the mono tippet. Flouro shyte would probably work as well.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I use Okuma reel, with braid and dipsey, on lake ontario.

around 1K for 2 rods id expect to drop.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply, I have zero experience with lead core so this is a great comment!!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Dipsey and Jet divers
    Right and Left planer boards help but setting the dipsey right is good too
    St. Croix or another good spinning or trolling rod (never broke one trolling, don't ask about doors on cars or at home)
    Penn, Shimano, Mitchel or Okuma reels
    Braid and atleast 10' of floro leader
    Erie Dearie, Cisco spoons, Canadian Wiggler

What specifically are you targeting? Walleye you can add worm harnesses and drop sinker rigs, salmon add Moonshine and Williams spoons....

Try looking for used gear on Kijiji or local garage sales etc, once you figure out what works for you and your target you can invest more if warranted. How deep, how clear the water is, weather conditions lots of reasons you might go lighter or go with something heavier, you need to look at what and how you use the gear, for example a setup like this is good for one type of setup but not another a day or two later, oh and it looks like a decent setup, it's Kijiji, always ask a question about the quality and the 2nd question "is that your best price" :-)
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camp...rod/1588637961
    Last edited by mosquito; October 29th, 2021 at 09:16 AM.
    "It's disturbing that when it comes to the Christian faith, people don't really want, or know how, to investigate the evidence" - Daniel B. Wallace So why not learn?
    Sadly few remember kids: Compassion, Samaritans Purse, World Vision

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

i live between port Glasgow and erieau so I will primarily be after walleye and bows. I have been fishing erie for a while but always on someone elses boat. I just bought my own so now its time to start looking for the equipment. I have always used downriggers and dipseys although I feel I could do without the riggers. I generally use harnesses, body baits and spoons. I thinking of jets and dipseys or lead core and dipseys.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klums View Post
    i live between port Glasgow and erieau so I will primarily be after walleye and bows. I have been fishing erie for a while but always on someone elses boat. I just bought my own so now its time to start looking for the equipment. I have always used downriggers and dipseys although I feel I could do without the riggers. I generally use harnesses, body baits and spoons. I thinking of jets and dipseys or lead core and dipseys.
    I start the fishing season off in Leamington with tadpoles and harnesses. Bottom bouncers work well too. When the fishing heats up out of Erieau, we still use the tadpoles and meat rigs, but I also have very good luck with riggers. You can target the depth better with riggers, I find at least. We also pull dipsies, depending on how many rods we use. We also rely heavily on the in-line planer boards, especially out of Leamington in the shallower water. You should look at getting them as well.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill