Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unloading a muzzle loader

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

It’s loaded when…
    Under the provincial Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, in the case of a percussion muzzleloader, if there’s a charge of powder and a projectile in the barrel and a percussion cap on the nipple, it’s considered to be loaded.

In the case of a muzzleloader which is not a percussion muzzleloader, if there’s a charge of powder and a projectile in the barrel and the vent is unplugged, it’s considered to be loaded.

Under the federal Firearms Act (Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations) a gun, including a muzzleloader, is considered to be unloaded if any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm.

Storage and transportation
    Also, Critchlow notes, “Under the federal Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations Transportation of Non-restricted Firearms section, muzzleloaders must be stored and transported unloaded.

There are, however, some exceptions, including storage at a hunt camp in a remote wilderness setting, or while being transported from one hunting site to another,” he explains. “In the latter case, while the muzzleloader does not have to be unloaded, it must have the firing cap or flint removed. Note that this exception does not apply to transporting anywhere other than from one hunting site to another. For further information on the Firearms Act and its regulations you should contact your local police.”

Critchlow says muzzleloading hunters could be held to either federal Firearms Act or the provincial Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act at the discretion of the Conservation Officer. Similarly, hunters dealing with provincial police forces might be subject to either standard.

Therefore, the most prudent course of action is to unload projectile and powder from muzzleloader when storing them after hunts or during transport.
    Endeavour to Persevere

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I just pull the primer out of my savage 10MLii and drop it in a case if outside legal hunting time.

Its not that complicated...

I have been harassed (checked) at the truck on my way out and as long as the primer is out I am good to go...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    I just pull the primer out of my savage 10MLii and drop it in a case if outside legal hunting time.

Its not that complicated...

I have been harassed (checked) at the truck on my way out and as long as the primer is out I am good to go...
    been checked multiple times in one week up on Manitoulin Island and all both the OPP and the CO has checked is the cap is out of the gun and stored in a separate case. it's never a matter of if you are going to get stopped on the island it's when and how many times and they've all given us the exact same direction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123