Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buck fever

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Buck fever

So, I just checked the camera located at a new property I have permission to hunt. The area is archery only.
    I was not expecting much as there is zero indication of a buck in rut anywhere. A bunch of turkeys and a few does in the last week.
    But, all of sudden this guy shows up.
    My dilemma is I have another ML spot to hunt next week. It has rut activity but the deer is of unknown size.

Should I concentrate on this guy next week and forsake the ML hunt entirely or hunt and hope that in a weeks time this guy is still around.
    I know that once the snow arrives the deer will migrate to a yarding area a few kilometers away.
    Decisions, decisions.....

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

That's a beauty buck. Even better is he's moving around during daylight hours.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Do you have a tree stand set up ,how would you hunt him without getting detected?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

He would be my target buck right away…beauty buck, good luck.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Why not try a bit of both next week? There are also two days this weekend that you could be out with your crossbow.
    That deer looks really nervous. It will probably be a challenge to get him.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Why not try a bit of both next week? There are also two days this weekend that you could be out with your crossbow.
    That deer looks really nervous. It will probably be a challenge to get him.
    That is what I'm going to do. He is only 5 minutes away so that is an incentive right there versus the other property which is 1 hour. He got my scent off the camera and probably why he is nervous. One of the does must be in estrous so probably why he is moving in. Only got him on camera once in the middle of the night and again 2 days ago over a 1 week period. I will try some rattling and the grunt call. Maybe he will get interested.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

find out what wind and conditions you had on the 24th and try and hunt him on the days those conditions arise in the future.. good luck, would love to see you vaccinate, ops i mean arrow him

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Wow, I would be hard pressed to not go for this guy being a known quantity versus the unknown "rutter" but the difference in hunting methods involved adds a wrinkle as does prospective hunting pressure in each area and wind directions on a given day. I think I would alternate with a two day sit then switch it up in whatever order the wind dictates.
    CCFR Member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    That is what I'm going to do. He is only 5 minutes away so that is an incentive right there versus the other property which is 1 hour. He got my scent off the camera and probably why he is nervous. One of the does must be in estrous so probably why he is moving in. Only got him on camera once in the middle of the night and again 2 days ago over a 1 week period. I will try some rattling and the grunt call. Maybe he will get interested.
    X 2 sounds like a plan,that is what i would do IF i would have this NICE dilemma to handle.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well, the buck did his scheduled run and showed up as planned at 13:50 today. Very prompt and courteous of him.

Shortly after lunch I hauled all my gear into the bush, cut open a shooting lane, set up my pop tent and settled in for an afternoon hunt.
    All said, I was ready and settled in at 13:45. I was catching my breath and cooling down when he appeared in the shooting lane only 15 yards away and broad side. I was ready and took the shot. Through the scope I did not see the bolt impact the body but he sure took off in a hurry. I reset the Excalibur Exomag, put another bolt in and waited 10 minutes to go out and slowly have a look.

No arrow to be found and no blood anywhere. WTF! I walked the perimeter and did criss cross patterns 500 meters in but came out empty. I checked the bush and walked for over an hour. The ground is hard with a sprinkle of snow. I would have seen something. I sighted in that crossbow this fall and it puts bolts on top of one another at 30 yards. No way I could have missed at half the distance.

Dejected, I went back to the blind and sat down to setup for the remainder of the afternoon still wondering what the heck went wrong.
    That is when the whole puzzle came together. I use a mono stick to stabilize my rifle, shotgun and crossbow. When I picked it up is when I noticed that the top half and latch mechanism was completely destroyed and a big dent in the aluminum tubing.

I like using the stick as it allows a longer time on target, stability and increased accuracy. What I failed to notice and do is to adjust it below the bolt rail and when I pulled the trigger, the string smashed right into it.

Lesson learned and now I know why bucks get to be so big....lol

I also thought I would have everything on video as the buck was standing in front of the camera when the whole scene occurred but nope, upon checking, I had failed to turn the camera back on. What a day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast