Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do you use your venison?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bhanley View Post
    Something to consider that hasn't been mentioned yet is to utilize the bones in making a killer game stock. But don't take my word on it, let Hank tell ya!

https://honest-food.net/venison-stock/
    Interesting idea. I figured using deer bones would result in a strange flavour - I think most agree that deer fat does not taste great, so I assumed bones, marrow etc. would be similar. This year, I gave all the bones to a friend for his dog - figured that at least they aren't going to a complete waste. Maybe next time I will keep some to try making stock.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I have a friend who's a chef and he got all excited when I told him he could have the skeleton of my two deer after I'd boned them both out. He took the long bones from the front and hind legs and split them on a bandsaw, exposing the narrow. He then took a clove of peeled garlic and crushed it with his big chef knife. This went into a glass bowl and he poured boiling water on it. He then melted butter in a pan and added a bit of the garlic water. This then was brushed onto the marrow of the sectioned bones. He then grilled it in the oven for about 20 mins until the surface was brown. The bones then went into a stock pot. Beef stock was
    added and he then put in potatoes, celery, carrots, carrot tops, onion and parsley, salt, bay leaf, sage, and pepper. This boiled all day until it rendered down to almost jelly. He then put it into ice cube trays and froze it. The flavour in this reduction was incredible. He'd pop a few cubes into brown sauces, gravies, stews.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great chef's idea to make more use of the animal. Something that the first inhabitants of this country did as well. Nothing went to waste.
    Wife made a fantastic venison spaghetti tonight. Belly is full with this healthy meal.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

A simple recipe I tried this year with moose cut femur bone:
    Just whisk with oil
    Add spice of choice
    Roast it in stove until golden and bone marrow starts detaching from bone

Place it in serving plate, decorate with fresh chopped dill
    Serve with garlic bread

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234