Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: A good reminder about hunting and gun theft

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Not only is not a smart idea to leave a firearm in a vehicle overnight, it is also ILLEGAL!
    Over the past few years several hunters in northern hunt camps were charged for doing that while in camp.
    The official interpretation is: a vehicle is a means of transportation, NOT a storage device for overnight storage!
    Not according to That firearms lawyer, Ian Runkle.
    He goes so far as to say a non-restricted firearm could be more secure if stored properly, than in a motel room, where you really have no control over who can enter when you are not there. He did a YouTube video about the issue……I always take our guns into the room with us…
    Last edited by rick_iles; December 1st, 2021 at 01:15 PM.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I often pack the night before I leave for hunting in the morning.

    However gun or bow is kept secured in my house and packed in the truck on my way out in the morning.

    Hunting stickers on your vehicle might as well say "Hey Mr lowlife I have guns please follow me home and steal them when I leave for work"... lol

  4. #13
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Not according to That firearms lawyer, Ian Runkle.
    He goes so far as to say a non-restricted firearm could be more secure if stored properly, than in a motel room, where you really have no control over who can enter when you are not there. He did a YouTube video about the issue……I always take our guns into the room with us…
    Any time I'm away hunting and staying at a motel,my firearm(s) always come in with me. I have a locking steel toolbox on my truck that's excellent for carrying firearms and backpacks unobtrusively from snoops. It's also real handy for going through festive R.I.D.E spot checks when Police are shining flashlights into the back seat. There's nothing in plain sight for anyone to ask about.
    "

  5. #14
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I agree with the sticker thing Terry. I see way too many trucks with Ruger, Remington, Beretta or Browning stickers on the back of it - glaring target IMHO. For the controlled hunt we take the guns home with us but I sometimes leave my crossbow in the Chalet hanging on the wall because that is where we get dressed to hunt anyway.

  6. #15
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Leaving your gun in your car/truck over night, would that not be considered carless storage?
    Just saying

  7. #16
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Not only is not a smart idea to leave a firearm in a vehicle overnight, it is also ILLEGAL!
    Over the past few years several hunters in northern hunt camps were charged for doing that while in camp.
    The official interpretation is: a vehicle is a means of transportation, NOT a storage device for overnight storage!
    I don't believe that is true. May have been charges laid, but I bet if fought in court they would have been dropped.
    Many people tent camp, what is safer, locked in your car or left behind the zipper in your tent. Not everyone stays in motels.
    I'd fight that charge all day long with 100% confidence I'd win.

  8. #17
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    What a bunch of nervous Nellie's. I am proud to sport OFAH, Friends of Hullet, Delta Waterfowl on my truck never had a problem. I've been stopped by RIDE programs with encased firearms in the backseat of my pickup never had a problem other than have a good evening sir. You can worry about this,that and the other things. Worry never solved anything.

  9. #18
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyman View Post
    What a bunch of nervous Nellie's. I am proud to sport OFAH, Friends of Hullet, Delta Waterfowl on my truck never had a problem. I've been stopped by RIDE programs with encased firearms in the backseat of my pickup never had a problem other than have a good evening sir. You can worry about this,that and the other things. Worry never solved anything.
    Don't confuse "worry" with "prudence". Some of us know that the less others see and know,the better,especially,those of us who have been in law enforcement at some point. Would you hang a sign on your truck that advertises you have expensive jewelry stored in your home? It's never wise to "poke the bear".
    "

  10. #19
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Don't confuse "worry" with "prudence". Some of us know that the less others see and know,the better,especially,those of us who have been in law enforcement at some point. Would you hang a sign on your truck that advertises you have expensive jewelry stored in your home? It's never wise to "poke the bear".
    Agreed, there is a big difference. I can't be home all the time to protect my stuff, so I don't advertise what stuff I have in the house. If we lived in a world with no crime, it would be a different story, but sadly there are people just waiting for an opportunity to steal your hard earned belongings.

  11. #20
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyman View Post
    What a bunch of nervous Nellie's. I am proud to sport OFAH, Friends of Hullet, Delta Waterfowl on my truck never had a problem. I've been stopped by RIDE programs with encased firearms in the backseat of my pickup never had a problem other than have a good evening sir. You can worry about this,that and the other things. Worry never solved anything.
    Sometimes I go over the speed limit. That doesn't mean that one day I won't get caught.

    One of the ways I don't worry about my car being broken into or being hassled by police is not parading my affiliations and associations on my car.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •