Thread: School me on what to do for Yote Hunting

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default School me on what to do for Yote Hunting

My son want's to try coyote hunting and last year I bought us a electronic caller.

The farms I have access to are not practical because if we missed, for my comfort houses and roads are to close, would be fine for shotgun but not a rifle.

So the main area we have for Coyotes at the moment is where we were deer hunting, since it's mostly hardwoods because of the leaves it's hard to find many tracks but we have seen tracks around the area and seen coyotes on some of our pics.
    Also while in the stand I could hear them just before sunset. I figure they were around the edge of the farm field about 200 yards.

Would this be worth while trying? I was thinking we could sit in the tree stand and watch from there.
    We have 3 tree stands in a triangle pattern about 300 yards from each other in different terrain and yotes have showed up to all 3

How often should we call?
    Would it be worth while trying each stand?
    What type of electronic call would you try first and how long and what would you progress to?
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would definitely try it, sit in the tree stand and start playing or screaming out with a dying rabbit call, You would have nothing to loose and much to gain if you are successful.
    I think getting into your stand undetected would be my first priority, playing the sound would be secondary. So get in there undetected (watch the wind) scream out every few minutes and keep your eyes open for that Wiley coyote
    Good luck
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Have you seen any while deer hunting?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

GO AND READ every post from this ,mand Frank (fratri)...I learned so much about wind, expected direction and how and why to set up your position. Franks posts are the Bible to coyote set up and hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    I would definitely try it, sit in the tree stand and start playing or screaming out with a dying rabbit call, You would have nothing to loose and much to gain if you are successful.
    I think getting into your stand undetected would be my first priority, playing the sound would be secondary. So get in there undetected (watch the wind) scream out every few minutes and keep your eyes open for that Wiley coyote
    Good luck
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

When the Coyotes showed up on the cams it was late evening/night
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by line052 View Post
    GO AND READ every post from this ,mand Frank (fratri)...I learned so much about wind, expected direction and how and why to set up your position. Franks posts are the Bible to coyote set up and hunting.
    i agree 100%

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

try putting some deer bones etc in a pail with rope long enough to hang in tree then fill bucket with water once it freezes you can bring close to your stand

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have only taken a few coyotes, so take this for what it's worth:
    - I think some kind of "decoy" is a good idea. Once they come near for the calling, it gets them focused on something other than looking at you. It could be a fancy remote spinning decoy, or even a stick in the ground with a turkey feather tied with fishing line...just some movement.
    - besides the electronic or mouth call for loud calling, having a simple "squeaky" toy from the dollar store works good too. Especially if you are using a shotgun/bow/crossbow and trying to get them in closer to you. You can tape or zip tie it to your gun so you can easily give it a squeeze without much movement.
    Last edited by Tony Mo; December 19th, 2021 at 11:37 AM.