Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: A sad farewell to Ruffed Grouse?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Don't worry guys, our beloved MNRF is on it.Millions of dollars have been set aside for research,grouse from Maine,N Ont, N sask,and northern Alberta are being trapped and will be released in time for this years small game opener.My alarm just went off,off to work I go,I just realized I was dreaming.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    In my area of WMU 60 basically Wollaston Township numbers are extremely low, this trend has been going on for about 3 years but appears to be getting worse. The Spring weather should have been good for the chicks to survive as it has been drier. I think I put up less than 6 birds all two weeks of the deer hunt. Sitting on a several deer stands in good habitat for 6 hours a day most all two weeks did not see a bird. In the past I always had them around the open field cabin area, I saw them off my deer feeders using corn in the past but nothing this past few years. I get the usual hawks an owls and coyotes but they have always been there. The properties around me have been logged to the west east and south, I wonder if this has had an adverse affect taking away some canopy cover. But something is wrong, I feel the same, would not harvest a bird anytime soon.
    Just noticed this post, you may be right about coyotes, owls, and hawks always being there, but remember old timers used to shoot piles of hawks, owls, and when the market was good a lot of grouse predators are fur bearers so many of them were trapped more. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by hunter06; September 16th, 2022 at 06:32 AM.
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If that’s the case than I’ve reformed many a wolf.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The population looks good in 47. I spend a lot of time in the Restoule and Commanda and we are seeing lots of birds.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Couliewalker View Post
    Don't worry guys, our beloved MNRF is on it.Millions of dollars have been set aside for research,grouse from Maine,N Ont, N sask,and northern Alberta are being trapped and will be released in time for this years small game opener.My alarm just went off,off to work I go,I just realized I was dreaming.
    LMFAO thats a good one hahahha

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Similar to other species, grouse populations are naturally cyclical. It’s very difficult to manage small game populations other than trying to improve habitat and it has to occur over thousands of acres to be benefit the population at large.

I wonder what impacts Avian Flu might have on upland game birds.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunter06 View Post
    Just noticed this post, you may be right about coyotes, owls, and hawks always being there, but remember old timers used to shoot piles of hawks, owls, and when the market was good a lot of grouse predators are fur bearers so many of them were trapped more. Just my opinion.
    Thr old timers also use to shoot everything in sight LOL. My dad said he hasn't seen a jack rabbit in almost a decade. They use to be everywhere where we hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longpointer View Post
    I know the Ruffed Grouse Society was asking hunters for reports on sightings or drumming heard during the Spring Turkey hunt. There has been the odd sighting near me here in 90B .
    I am in 90b and have not seen or heard one in many years.
    It seems to me the decline started the same time the wild turkey was reintroduced to the area.not sure if it related or not. But as a kid doing deer drives grouse use to scare the crap out of me when thy flused.lol

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I'd like to here from others regarding the population status of Ruffed Grouse based on what you're seeing in the area that you live and/or hunt. You don't see much comment being made by mnr regarding the total crash in areas of the province.I'm pretty sure WNV is the culprit. I live in WMU 75 and I mainly hunt the southern ends of 60. Numbers have been declining over the past 15 to 20 years but now it's dropped to almost total exterpation. There are so few birds now where I live I feel the species should be considered for SARA listing. Next to zero drumming males now in the spring. There is no longer a huntable population. There are so few birds I think I'd feel guilty harvesting the bird if I did find one. You can walk for hours, focussing on good habitat, with a good dog, and you'd be lucky to flush a single bird. I'm not even seeing budding birds when driving hundreds of kilometers around home. How are things in your area?
    Why are you surprised there is no comment from the MNRF?
    I have never seen our "voice" (OFAH)officially complain to the mnrf for there lack of "enthusiasm" in helping our small game populations in the province.
    The ruffed grouse can be added to the Pheasant,Hun,bobwhite quail list.This list is getting long, yet they sit on their hands and do nothing.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

this year was the most grouse iv ever seen while moose hunting. was nothing to see 30 or more just walking out from the moose stand every day

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

This lad’s not saying farewell any time soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If that’s the case than I’ve reformed many a wolf.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567