Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A sad farewell to Ruffed Grouse?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    I am most definitely not saying a farewell to the ruffed grouse. This afternoon while walking a part of the the bush lot the dog and I don't normally visit during the summer the dog we flushed six all at once. I'm assuming one hen and some juvenile birds from the same nest. I'd heard lots of drumming earlier and this would appear to be the result.
    With a report like that sept 25 can't come soon enough
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    With a report like that sept 25 can't come soon enough
    I haven't hunted my bush lot in many years but this one may be an exception. I generally wait until well after the opener because the foliage is very dense. Mid-October is when I like to start.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

well if you want to hunt them over a setter ........

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Not to brag but I saw birds on every hunting trip last fall. It was one of the best seasons for me. The dog running through the thick stuff helped a lot as well. Many birds busted out of fence rows. But.... Over the many years of woodcock hunting the the gradual decline in bird numbers has been noted. habitat loss and wood lots not being clear cut does not help the situation. What gets me even more pissed are the false promises from OFAH and the MNR to clear cut crown properties to make room for new growth for small game in Ontario.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank16 View Post
    Not to brag but I saw birds on every hunting trip last fall. It was one of the best seasons for me. The dog running through the thick stuff helped a lot as well. Many birds busted out of fence rows. But.... Over the many years of woodcock hunting the the gradual decline in bird numbers has been noted. habitat loss and wood lots not being clear cut does not help the situation. What gets me even more pissed are the false promises from OFAH and the MNR to clear cut crown properties to make room for new growth for small game in Ontario.
    Not just the MNR. Although there's been some 3 and forth cutting in Simcoe county forest which has opened them up the reforestation plan doesn't take small game into consideration. Talk to the forester what the plan was for my favorite forest said section of fallow abandoned farm field was to be planted in red and white pine plantation. Asked why not let it continue to regenerate on its own as it was starting to become prime forest edge habitat. His answer people want to see trees.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Go figure! The P@$*? society wins again!
    I was out scouting for new properties yesterday and noted the minimal amount of new growth bushes. Many hardwood bushes.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank16 View Post
    Go figure! The P@$*? society wins again!
    I was out scouting for new properties yesterday and noted the minimal amount of new growth bushes. Many hardwood bushes.
    At least better than pine plantation in my opinion.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I’ve sometimes wondered with entire stands of mature ash dying off due to the emerald ash borer; is this creating new habitats?…
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default M

I live in Northern WMU 57, I hunt 55a, 57, and northern 60. Grouse population is good in all. Hear lots of drumming in the spring, see lots the roads, flushed over 30 in two weeks of riffle.
    Last edited by hunter06; September 7th, 2022 at 04:26 PM.
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If that’s the case than I’ve reformed many a wolf.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I’m seeing a second hatch around here! Was just telling the wife last week that some grouse will be very small come opening day. Seen some with no tail feathers yet. That’s ok, they will get a pass.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast