Thread: New boating regs aim to reduce spread of invasive species

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default New boating regs aim to reduce spread of invasive species

New provincial boating regulations focusing on “Clean, Drain, Dry” principles and practices aiming to reduce the spread of environmentally damaging invasive species come into effect on Jan. 1, 2022.
    The post New boating regs aim to reduce spread of invasive species appeared first on Ontario OUT of DOORS.

More...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That'll be some extra work washing gear off if fishing two or three different lakes over a weekend. Car washes will be doing a brisk business.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The requirements seem fairy vague though ?

Pull your drain plug like most of us do anyway and make sure there are no weeds hanging off the trailer or prop….
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

They just want to see how many forget to put the drain plug back in, lol. My boat doesn't leak so why would I pull it out.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default New boating regs aim to reduce spread of invasive species

I always pull my drain plug, it’s habit. Although I keep the boat in a garage when not in use I think it helps dry out the bilge. Even if the boat doesn’t leak you can get water in there if it rains or through morning dew . Also I don’t usually trailer it with the cover on so if it rains it will just drain out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default New boating regs

New provincial boating regulations focusing on “Clean, Drain, Dry” principles and practices aiming to reduce the spread of environmentally damaging invasive species come into effect on Jan. 1, 2022.

"Boaters – including canoe and kayak users – now must take extra precautions when moving watercraft over land. They cannot move their boat unless drain plugs and other devices used to control drainage of water and equipment have been opened and removed."

https://oodmag.com/new-boating-regs-aim-to-reduce-spread-of-invasive-species/
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Swims with the Fishes

User Info Menu

And yet on Lake Ontario I can watch a ship from the Black Sea bring parts to Oshawa, but I’ll be fined if I have any seaweed on the trailer for the 5 min drive home.
    That rug really tied the room together

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So, if a duck or seagull eats a minnow in one lake and craps it out in another has it committed a crime by introducing an invasive species?
    Asking for a friend.....
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I know its a minor inconvenience, and people love to complain, but if you don't want your favourite fishing lakes destroyed like the ocean freighters have done to the great lakes I think its smart.

Really its not near far enough to actually prevent stuff from being moved, but its a step to make people aware of the issue and quite honestly nothing I don't already do just out of normal practice.

We have seen what can happen when we don't pay attention to this stuff, so is it really too much to ask at this point?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've been doing the same thing that Mauro does. I pull the plug when I've got the boat on the trailer (it's a new boat that doesn't leak so I have never had water come out of this one). I trim the engine down to drain it and when I get home I give the boat and trailer a quick wash down with a bit of soap and then park it in the garage. I keep the plug out and like to open all the hatches and compartments to get some air flow through it. I'm pretty picky about keeping my equipment clean so the new rules aren't going to change the way I do things. If it helps keep our lakes and rivers safe.. all the better...