Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory reporting

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Well if you don't like mandatory stuff, hunting is not your thing.
    We already have to take hunting safety courses, buy licences, are told what we can wear, fill out a tag, and if you gun hunt that comes with a lot more mandatory stuff.
    If a 2min summary of what you saw while hunting puts you over the top I don't know what to tell you.

As for those who don't like the questions, they intentionally keep them simple and the same to see trends. If they change the trends are lost. Its not rocket science or a completely accurate system, but if gives a good baseline and nothing more. Not to mention people already overthink these questions. If they change them can you imagine the confusion and complaining?

I truly don't get the complaining about this every year. I'm happy to provide the little info they ask for to help manage our resources.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I really can't or don't see why people have a hard time filling out this simple survey. No personal information, just what you saw. Sure people probably make up numbers, but statically these will be outliers. I typically see like 30 deer in a season, probably a lot of the same deer. This year around 15 but I was done early so didn't go in bush at the time I see most of my deer. they have asked the same questions for years, so I agree changing would make all that data a waste and can you imagine the complaints coming in if asked for more detailed information.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A way to get all hunters to fill in a report card would be to have a prize give away - have some outfit like Cabela's donate a ATV or similar prize each year followed by a drawing - hunters who got a deer and those who didn't could summit a report and be eligible - otherwise there will still be hunters who won't report their kill and now you are guessing on how many are doing that -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    A way to get all hunters to fill in a report card would be to have a prize give away - have some outfit like Cabela's donate a ATV or similar prize each year followed by a drawing - hunters who got a deer and those who didn't could summit a report and be eligible - otherwise there will still be hunters who won't report their kill and now you are guessing on how many are doing that -
    It's easy here, with no harvest report, .....just disqualify their application for an antlerless tag and no access to the 'additional tags' that are offered in many WMU's.
    Last edited by MikePal; January 18th, 2022 at 06:24 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Sounds like I'll be in the minority here but I don't really get the mandatory reporting.

We are essentially doing the MNR's job for them, working for free. If they want to harness the 'power of the people' there should be some sort of incentive or contest. We already pay hundreds of thousands in licensing fees annually. Not to mention other memberships, taxes on outdoor products, etc.

I've heard from some people that they inflate the #'s seen in the hope of more tags or extended seasons, etc. I'm not sure how accurate the info is (can older guys even remember how many animals they saw while hunting, for example?) Or how many total days they hunted?

I'm happy to do my part as a responsible conservationist and am in no way complaining or advocating for skirting the system. It just seems like a strange idea, like the glowing puck in hockey for those that remember.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    It's easy here, with no harvest report, .....just disqualify their application for an antlerless tag and no access to the 'additional tags' that are offered in many WMU's.
    Why does it have to be a negative experience?
    Praise and rewards is always more productive than oppression.
    If you ask any company CEO they will tell you that a yearly bonus for a job well done is a lot better than a negative PA review.

If you want cooperation between the end user and government agencies (who are supposed to be working for us BTW) it would be beneficial that they introduce policies that involve key stakeholders.

Not everyone that legally shoots a deer in their back forty is keenly interested in reporting their every hunt sorties to an agency. Serves no purpose.

The CO's out in the field should be able to feed back adequate data to the biologists based on their observations such as vehicle collisions, sighting, interaction with hunting groups and individuals. This should be adequate as it has been for decades.
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The questiuons don't require a PhD to answer. It's quick and painless. Simply answer the questions as asked and don't over think. Some jurisdictions (US) require the hunter attend a check station with the deer intact within 12 hours. Each questionaire is in writing and in the presence of an agent appointed by the state and must be attested to by the hunter. Make one mistake and God help you. Lying or providing false information is a "felony" (indictable offence in Canada) which can send a hunter to prison. It seems that so far,we're getting off pretty lucky.
    "

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    If you ask any company CEO they will tell you that a yearly bonus for a job well done is a lot better than a negative PA review.

If you want cooperation between the end user and government agencies (who are supposed to be working for us BTW) it would be beneficial that they introduce policies that involve key stakeholders.

Not everyone that legally shoots a deer in their back forty is keenly interested in reporting their every hunt sorties to an agency. Serves no purpose.

The CO's out in the field should be able to feed back adequate data to the biologists based on their observations such as vehicle collisions, sighting, interaction with hunting groups and individuals. This should be adequate as it has been for decades.
    Good points. Something else I just thought of — would all this very basic data be nullified or at least compromised by the many natives hunting out of season without a license? If people are fishing out entire lakes or harvesting a large amount of animals it’s kind of like turning off your small porch light to save energy while your neighbour lights up the entire block and leaves v10 super-duty trucks idling in the driveway all day long.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post

Didn't the government try that with access to movie theaters and sporting events? Complainers will always complain...Rather see people do it on the own accord however its evident some need an or else option to comply.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Didn't the government try that with access to movie theaters and sporting events? Complainers will always complain...Rather see people do it on the own accord however its evident some need an or else option to comply.
    Let's look at it another way. OOD here, how do they get people interested in participating or becoming a member?
    They offer an incentive such as a lottery to win a boat, ATV or something of value to its audience.

Same with an outdoors / Sportsmen shows. Usually a door prize of some kind to spark interest.

This is a survey the ministry is conducting with lame questions. 100% attendance and compliance is not necessary.
    They would do much better IMHO if they presented themselves with a willingness to work with hunters then enforcing unnecessary penalties on those who simply forget to take a survey in the allocated time period. I'm willing to bet the reporting would be a lot more accurate as well.
    Simply look around your hunt group. "Hey Joe, did you apply for that doe tag?" "Ohhh sorry, I forgot"

I'm not against collecting data per se. It's just the method used is not conducive to building a good relationship with the key stakeholders.
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast