Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: ice camping

  1. #1
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default ice camping

    looking for suggestions on hub tent for 2 guys. and heat source i have buddy heater but leaning towards wood at night. any tips or tricks or tips would be great have done winter camping with no heat but not on lake with winds etc .

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    big buddy heater, insulated tent along with interlocking foam mats for the flooring should be fine for overnight camping on the ice

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    looking for suggestions on hub tent for 2 guys. and heat source i have buddy heater but leaning towards wood at night. any tips or tricks or tips would be great have done winter camping with no heat but not on lake with winds etc .
    Quote Originally Posted by m1k3_88 View Post
    big buddy heater, insulated tent along with interlocking foam mats for the flooring should be fine for overnight camping on the ice
    A canvas prospector tent with a stove pipe plate and a galvanized wood stove will keep you toasty warm on ripping cold winter nights,especially,with using rubber mats as flooring. Use a camp cot with carpet underlay between the cot and your sleeping bag and you'll sleep like a baby. Be careful with fuel burning buddy heaters in enclosed areas. A small wood stove throws much more heat plus you can cook on it. Winter camping whether hunting or ice fishing is a hoot.
    Last edited by trimmer21; January 16th, 2022 at 12:05 AM.
    "

  5. #4
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    looking for suggestions on hub tent for 2 guys. and heat source i have buddy heater but leaning towards wood at night. any tips or tricks or tips would be great have done winter camping with no heat but not on lake with winds etc .
    Make sure you have a good indoor/outdoor co detector!!!!

  6. #5
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Check out these guys for hot tents. They have stoves for them too.

    https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment...hot-tents.html

  7. #6
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I’m looking to get into ice camping as well. Ive ordered a Eskimo Outbreak 450 XD insulated pop up shelter. I have the interlocking foam pads, big Buddy heater, cot, 5-star sleeping bag, stove and cooking stuff, and a power pack. I need to purchase some interior lights… not sure what to get yet.

    Once my hut arrives, I’ll set it up on the deck and try a dry run to see how it goes.

    The challenge will be be getting everything out on the ice. Probably will have to make 2 trips.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    I’m looking to get into ice camping as well. Ive ordered a Eskimo Outbreak 450 XD insulated pop up shelter. I have the interlocking foam pads, big Buddy heater, cot, 5-star sleeping bag, stove and cooking stuff, and a power pack. I need to purchase some interior lights… not sure what to get yet.

    Once my hut arrives, I’ll set it up on the deck and try a dry run to see how it goes.

    The challenge will be be getting everything out on the ice. Probably will have to make 2 trips.
    You can pile a lot of gear in one or two of these and tow them behind a snowmachine or ATV.https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...5134p.html#srp
    "

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    II need to purchase some interior lights… not sure what to get yet.

    The challenge will be be getting everything out on the ice. Probably will have to make 2 trips.
    For lights, if your power pack is 12 volts there are all kinds of hanging lights you can get and charge again.
    Check out CTC, Princess auto, Walmart.....etc
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

  10. #9
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    You can pile a lot of gear in one or two of these and tow them behind a snowmachine or ATV.https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...5134p.html#srp
    I have one of those (Trek 75) and one the next size up (Trek 82). Once all hitched up with both behind the Scandic my conga train is 31 feet long (each toboggan and hitch add about 10 feet) but can carry all gear, shelter (Eskimo 450 same as Sam's), food, fuel, augers, batteries, heater, stove, cots etc. needed for a weekend on the ice in one trip. That is everything for 2 people. Scandic is a 2up as well with the long track and a decent on board cargo area behind the second seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    I’m looking to get into ice camping as well. Ive ordered a Eskimo Outbreak 450 XD insulated pop up shelter. I have the interlocking foam pads, big Buddy heater, cot, 5-star sleeping bag, stove and cooking stuff, and a power pack. I need to purchase some interior lights… not sure what to get yet.


    Once my hut arrives, I’ll set it up on the deck and try a dry run to see how it goes.


    The challenge will be be getting everything out on the ice. Probably will have to make 2 trips.


    The Eskimo Outbreak 450 insulated is a great shelter with two caveats. It is marketed as a 5-6 person shelter. For camping it is a 2 person shelter. Day use 4 is pushing it and 3 people is comfortable. The second is that it is big and bulky even packed up. It weighs close to 50 lbs dry and even folded up it is too long for the Pelican Trek 75 that Trimmer linked. It does fit in the Pelican Trek 82 but takes about 40% of the toboggan space. This is a pic of the 450 set up with Scandic hooked up to the Pelican 82:

    Last edited by Species8472; January 16th, 2022 at 10:04 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

  11. #10
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    I’m looking to get into ice camping as well. Ive ordered a Eskimo Outbreak 450 XD insulated pop up shelter. I have the interlocking foam pads, big Buddy heater, cot, 5-star sleeping bag, stove and cooking stuff, and a power pack. I need to purchase some interior lights… not sure what to get yet.

    Once my hut arrives, I’ll set it up on the deck and try a dry run to see how it goes.

    The challenge will be be getting everything out on the ice. Probably will have to make 2 trips.
    Look at WalMart Dorcy 2000 lumens 4D battery operated lantern.
    It is excellent,and easy on batteries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •