Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hunting wild pigs prohibited

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm sure Ted Nugent would be up for a Canadian tour in his chopper. "Whack'em, pack'em and stack'em. Surely our harsher winter conditions wouldn't allow the populations to proliferate like they do in the States.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I got to thinking about this.

As a landowner if and when the pigs cause damage to my property I should have pretty good legal grounds to sue the MNR for damages that could have been dealt with 400km south.

Hah, who am I kidding. They're not going to get to my place either way. Too many guys up this way that know how to shoot. And I mean really shoot.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    They simply do not have the manpower in Ontario to control the growing population of feral pigs.
    Its one thing to brag about netting a bunch of semi tame donut fed pigs but quite another to track down and capture the smart ones.
    All optics.
    You only have to look state side to see how well that has worked out for them.
    When you look state-side, look at Maine - which has a similar climate to much of central Ontario.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    When you look state-side, look at Maine - which has a similar climate to much of central Ontario.
    Yes, but we also share a long border with New York state as well. Looks like colder climate keeps the numbers down according to the information in this article.

"They are feral pigs, and while they have long plagued parts of the Southern and Western United States, now they have become a problem in the peaceful Champlain Valley of New York, an agricultural heartland on the edge of the Adirondacks."

"Last year, the state set a similar corral trap too soon, catching only three pigs. After that, none of the others returned to the area, even after the trap was dismantled. “I’ve never worked with an animal this smart,” Mr. Reed said."

"By contrast, the feral pig population nationwide is a staggering five million, with the animals present in 35 states. Texas, Florida, Alabama and California are among the states with the highest concentrations of pigs, which benefit from warm climates and year-round availability of food."

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/n...-new-york.html
    "Proud Educated Vaxxer"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Can not help but to remember the early 2000-ish: Do NOT transfer firewood, to prevent the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer!!!

How did THAT worked out for Them !!! -or Us ???

I am sometimes wondering-how come there is no personal responsibility for any of those big shots coming up with all these great ideas?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    It won't be a challenge. Under the Invasive Species Act inspectors can enter private property for the purposes of surveying and insuring compliance.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/s15022

And they can stop your car too.

Penalties for an individual go as high as $250,000 or a year behind bars.
    Thanks for sharing however inspection is not the same as removal (trapping/shooting).
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    I got to thinking about this.

As a landowner if and when the pigs cause damage to my property I should have pretty good legal grounds to sue the MNR for damages that could have been dealt with 400km south.

Hah, who am I kidding. They're not going to get to my place either way. Too many guys up this way that know how to shoot. And I mean really shoot.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    There could be some real dilly pig roasts in cottage country,for sure.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    Thanks for sharing however inspection is not the same as removal (trapping/shooting).
    Covered in Section 27(3)

(3) The Minister may cause an inspector, or other person acting on the Minister’s behalf, to take any of the following actions in an invasive species control area, or at an invaded place, referred to in clause (1) (a), with respect to an invasive species:

1. Use any physical or mechanical means, or apply any chemical treatments or biological control measures, to remove or eradicate the invasive species, even though the use of such means or application of such treatments or measures may result in damage to property or its removal or destruction.

2. Destroy, by any means, anything that may be a carrier of the invasive species.

3. Such other actions as may be necessary, whether or not it results in damage to property or its removal or destruction.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I’m having pork tenderloin tonight. Store bought.
    I’ll try the wild one if I get a chance.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

So to get head of one mounted might be a bit sketchy ?