Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ATV Tracks in slush

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    I was joking with you!!

Different experiences due to depth of snow!!!
    No offence meant!

I will say they aren’t all made the same.

The commanders are really wide and PSI to snow is low so they will surprise you. There are many narrow versions but I personally will stay away from them.

I got of the machine one day and went up over my waist!
    I did the same flip on the snow machine with my dad, twice in the same darn trip. He was a good sport about it though.
    I did mention it a few times that some places it might make sense for a tracked ATV especially if that's the only machine you have..
    For where I am and what I do it doesn't. My ATV is parked in the shed till spring.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; February 14th, 2022 at 07:33 AM.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    While I appreciate both points of view and always find your both of your posts informative and interesting.

As for an ATV with tracks floating better than a sled that may be true depending on the specific set up. I would however doubt it if compared to my sled. I would have to see the actual math. My sled has a 24x165 studded track and 11 inch ski skins on the front and fully plated under body. Add in I can hit the slush fields at over 100 km/hour (even with toboggan in tow although i normally cruise at about 60 on the open lake) should I choose I will take the sled. Plus it'll cross the odd unexpected pressure crack better. Plus I have winch for the sled.

My question is after slush or if parked in slush what is your strategy to prevent freezing in. Myself i try to knock off as much as possible and than take it for a 5 minute rip every hour or so. The odd time though it takes some rocking and alternating between forward/reverse to get going. If really worried and close to shore i'll cut a few spruce down and make a mat to park on. Any other things you do?
    Having been stuck in the slush with my sled or a friends many times when I was younger, I try hard not to do that anymore. At -30 bad things can happen. Its also not healthy for this old guy lol.
    Most lakes I fish are very small and shore is close by. If my fishing spot is covered in thick slush I will try to find a better place to fish with less slush.
    If there's slush everywhere I packed myself a good trail to shore and park there. I then clean track best I can and snowshoe to where I want to fish. If I have to stay on lake and its bad, I've also cut small spruce and parked machine on it and again cleaning track.
    Snow machines have come a long ways.
    Having had a wide track for 20 years, I don't remember having problems in the slush with it.
    I bought a Polaris Voyageur 600 with 2" paddle tracks a few years ago.
    I find the paddle track design more forgiving when playing in slush. They clean themselves easier and don't fill tunnel full of slush then freeze. Their elevated design makes cleaning much easier.

Just to add: Since I bought sled with paddle tracks I can honestly say I don't worry about slush as much anymore, its now more a decision do I want to walk in that shint all day. lol. At my age and when fishing alone I'm still careful and try to plan things out.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; February 14th, 2022 at 09:08 AM.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

i had chains on my bike and switched to studded tires for ice fishing was awesome aslong as drifts werent too bad

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

How about 1 of these?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLMQdnmD/

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

I have tracks on my ATV and it will go through a slush hole better than a snowmobile within reason. If the snow and slush are that deep you’re better to either walk out (snowshoes) or stay home. Last winter I almost got my ATV with tracks stuck for the first time in deep slush, I got out but barely and then had to take a heat gun to my tracks to get rid of the ice.
    I’ve used an Argo extensively and they wouldn’t fair any better if as well. The Argo’s Achilles heel is it’s low ground clearance. They get hung up easily - been there, done that and watched the tracks spin, then the fun begins.
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

For the fellas who have had Argos going high center on a stump or being bogged down,buddy put a winch on his and uses a fluke anchor for getting out of tough spots in case that helps.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My old Argo didn't have a winch, so I always carried a jack all. Still do just in case. Helped a guy out on a quad pulling a big load of steel roof metal this fall. He was stuck and the trailer tire got stuck behind a tree. Slid the trailer over with the jack. The fella had already winched a small tree down on himself, and luckily didn't get hurt. Found out he was from Rick Teal's camp. He used to be on this site. Said he passed away a couple years ago.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234