Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excalibur MAG 340

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Excalibur MAG 340

Hello all,

Very very new to Archery, have only shot a crossbow once...
    looking to get a bow to increase my season, mainly for deer and turkey.

what are the thoughts on this unit ?
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13282...ossbow-package

seems to be on sale for $800.

my main question is, are the more expensive models more reliable in terms of shots grouping ? or have better range ? or ... not sure how to compare them to rifles.

I handled a couple different bows, and this one due to its impact size, fits my hands much better, im 5'7 ....

I would LOVE to learn and hunt with a compound bow one day, but doesnt seem to be a smart investment as a first bow... I figured I learn archery hunting with cross and then over time try to learn how to use a compound ... any thuoghts on this is appreciated too.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I can't comment on that specific crossbow, but I have an older Excalibur crossbow, and it has been excellent. When I eventually replace it, I will get another Excalibur. They are generally very accurate and low maintenance. I wouldn't spend more and expect any noticeable difference in performance.

Regarding using a crossbow as a gateway into using a vertical bow, it will really be limited to a few things: understanding arrow flight, arrow placement on game, and paying more attention to things like wind direction, noise and movement (to some extent) so that you can get the animals very close. Once you start using a vertical bow, you will have many new things to learn that you never have to think about when using a crossbow.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I have this exact model bought used last year. Can't compare to higher end models, but I am very happy with this one.
    Minimal maintenance, no headaches cam timing etc...

Although it had a tiller issue on it, it still had a pretty group groups at 30yds - less then an inch shooting off my knee, so shooter mistakes accounted for. While testing ruined several arrows by "robin hood" arrow splits. lol.
    In winter, submitted RMA, got new limbs without any issues - Excalibur support is top notch.
    Just replaced those, but did not have a chance to test it yet. I am pretty sure that grouping will improve.

The only little gripe that I had with it initially - the stock Dead Zone Scope is too high and you cannot lower it due to the brace design.
    Simple fix by adding a higher a cheek rest (plastic pipe held in place by buttstock pouch) so that my sight line is aligned - made a huge difference in shot groups.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thank you guys, appreciate the replies.

ill pick one up while its on sale.

what kind of arrow tip do I want to pick up to start practising ? I assume like rifle bullets id want a couple different weights to try ?
    CCFR, OFAH Member

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post
    Thank you guys, appreciate the replies.

ill pick one up while its on sale.

what kind of arrow tip do I want to pick up to start practising ? I assume like rifle bullets id want a couple different weights to try ?
    On the internet they say the heavier arrows and tips are better for reliability of the kill.
    I personally never tried and stuck with original stock setup (100gr)

Very resource full YouTube channel for anything xbow:

https://youtube.com/c/Deathbybunjie

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I have the G340 model (pretty much the same) and it is an excellent bow for the cost. Light, reliable and accurate. I switched to 150 g heads for better FOC (front of center) weight, my bow shop guy said the heavier head will maintain better accuracy down range.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have the 340 AXE which was the predecessor of the MAG 340 ( essentially the same bow). It/they are a fantastic bow for the money with all of the Excalibur benefits ie. accuracy and warranties. I did upgrade the scope that came with the package with a scope that has an illuminated reticle. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing one if you're on the fence.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

As an old guy , I need to ask ......how hard is to ? I'm only 5'7". I shoot at Exocet 200 now and I don't have any problem with it but I've heard the Micro series can be difficult for smaller guys.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    As an old guy , I need to ask ......how hard is to ? I'm only 5'7". I shoot at Exocet 200 now and I don't have any problem with it but I've heard the Micro series can be difficult for smaller guys.
    around 140 lbs to pull it.
    I tried in store, wasnt too much force, but might not be able to do it up in a tree stand.

they sell the cranking cockers, but its bulky, I dont know if it effects shooting at all. around $250
    CCFR, OFAH Member

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

My personal opinion is they are the best buy for the money. I refer to them as the 85' Chevy boxtruck of crossbows. You can't go wrong with them. Best price point and value of all of Excalibur's crossbows if you ask me. User friendly, great warranty, will take any game in North America, accurate, etc. I bought one for my son for Christmas 14 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast