Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs are creatures of habit

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Dogs are creatures of habit

not a Sporting Dog anymore ; but still amazing

My terrier started out barking incessantly when a stranger was in the house ; very protective dog.

]I started using an anti bark collar and that worked fine.
    Then I stopped changing the battery and the dog didn't notice and the collar still worked fine.
    Today I just laid the collar on the table and he stopped barking for the rest of my friend's visit. [COLOR=#333333]

He can also tell time . Reminds me when it's time for me to take my meds ; right on time every 3 hours. He thinks he might get a sip of milk too.
    He can also spell. We spell some words so as not to get him going : walk,run, bush, neighbor's dog's name when he is out, rabbit ( We see it in the backyard .) etc...He knows exactly what we mean.

Forgot this : When I put my lipstick on, he heads for the crate.

Amazing creatures .
    Last edited by Sharon; February 28th, 2022 at 03:15 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    not a Sporting Dog anymore ; but still amazing

My terrier started out barking incessantly when a stranger was in the house ; very protective dog.

]I started using an anti bark collar and that worked fine.
    Then I stopped changing the battery and the dog didn't notice and the collar still worked fine.
    Today I just laid the collar on the table and he stopped barking for the rest of my friend's visit. [COLOR=#333333]

He can also tell time . Reminds me when it's time for me to take my meds ; right on time every 3 hours. He thinks he might get a sip of milk too.
    He can also spell. We spell some words so as not to get him going : walk,run, bush, neighbor's dog's name when he is out, rabbit ( We see it in the backyard .) etc...He knows exactly what we mean.

Amazing creatures .
    The problem is they are to smart and have us figured out to a tee. My guys knows the theme song for Coronation Street and knows when that finished he gets out for his second walk. Having a snack of cornflakes at night with milk, well you better have his bowl ready with his milk . Now that his hearing is going a bit he has figured out my sign language. Got to love them. He does remember his electronic training collar and if I show it to him he takes of for the hills. LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

LOL Amazing isn't it?
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

They for sure can tell time

Now this Doberman pup first one I’ve ever had but heard privacy is gone when you have a Doberman example his chin on your knee when your taking a dump or laying outside shower door
    when the bully’s move around the house you know it Doberman is so stealth it’s scary

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

What really impressed me was when I lived alone, the dog had one set of rules. Now it's very different. As soon as his mom leaves for the night, he's right back to the old routine like he never missed a day. Or I can drive down a street I haven't been down in ages, if he knows a friend lives there, he will bark and whine because he knows exactly where we are.

They are truly amazing, and get better with age.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I think it's more to do with association than habit.. I've used a bark collar or training collar for years, and the dogs associated the collar with something that will hurt them if they bark, and associated it with how long or how many days the battery will last before they won't get zapped. Training is basically the same thing, repetition. I remember years ago running a field trail in Quebec, it was a fair hike from Ontario and I decided to run the qualifying event on the Saturday and open all age on the Sunday. The week before leading up to the field trail we trained for a mark retrieve. The gunner was on this side of the fence but the bird was throw on the far side of the fence.

Well wouldn't you know it the very first test was set up almost the exact same as we trained for the week before. The gunner was set up on this side of the fence but the bird was thrown on this side as well. My dog didn't even stop, he cleared the fence and started hunting for the bird. I mean he knew it was there we trained for it. Well I had to handle the dog back on this side of the fence. Needless to say that was the end of the day. All the other dogs nailed the retrieve...

But we did better the second day...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

My labs have all been very food driven, (I’m sure I’m not alone) but the old dogs aren’t too concerned about being fed. I guess they figure it’s coming eventually. The puppy on the other hand starts following me around the house about 15 min before feeding time.
    Just to make sure I don’t forget I suppose.

I started feeding him in his crate and when he heard the rattle of the food hitting the bowl he’d be running for all he had to get into that crate. We have hard wood floors so he’s sliding around the corner, nails dug right in. You’d think I hadn’t fed him for a week. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator

User Info Menu

We have a five-month-old beagle, and are focusing on peeing outside at the moment. Once she has that down we can move onto being more diligent with the voice commands (sit, down, stay, etc.). She is a lover, but if you miss her walk she'll make you pay. She'll make you pay bigtime.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanOOD View Post
    We have a five-month-old beagle, and are focusing on peeing outside at the moment. Once she has that down we can move onto being more diligent with the voice commands (sit, down, stay, etc.). She is a lover, but if you miss her walk she'll make you pay. She'll make you pay bigtime.
    LMAO, now that there is funny... True but still funny...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Apprentice

User Info Menu

When I kiss my wife before I go to work our lab heads to the kennel as she knows she gets a treat when I leave. We usually feed her around 5 but at 4:30 every day she's sitting by her bowl waiting. She's 11. TC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast