Thread: Barebow progress

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Barebow progress

Slowly becoming more proficient with the barebow recurve. Managed to find my fixed crawls for 10, 15, 20, with my point on being 30 yards. Still dealing with plucking the string as the day draws on with my shots drifting left at further ranges but I definitely feel confident hunting deer at 20 yards. Plan on shooting 100-200 arrows/week.

IMG_20220302_161305.jpg
    10 yards

IMG_20220302_164002.jpg
    20 yards

IMG_20220302_170252.jpg
    30 yards
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Awesome! Cool to see your progress. Now isnt this more fun then a boring crossbow?!
    I assume you mean that you're using a fixed crawl and then gapping for various ranges? Or, is it string walking that you're describing?
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good shooting and good groups keep it up

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Awesome! Cool to see your progress. Now isnt this more fun then a boring crossbow?!
    I assume you mean that you're using a fixed crawl and then gapping for various ranges? Or, is it string walking that you're describing?
    Haha I'll still be using a crossbow in late season most likely. Meat in the freezer is more important lol. I meant string walking, I just realized a fixed crawl is only one crawl. Although my 15 and 20 yard crawl are the same which is super convenient. I just tie some nocking points on my crawls which just helps to aim faster and easier in low light rather than putting my crawl on my tab.
    Last edited by MihajloSimsic; March 4th, 2022 at 03:57 PM.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    Haha I'll still be using a crossbow in late season most likely. Meat in the freezer is more important lol. I meant string walking, I just realized a fixed crawl is only one crawl. Although my 15 and 20 yard crawl are the same which is super convenient. I just tie some nocking points on my crawls which just helps to aim faster and easier in low light rather than putting my crawl on my tab.
    Ok that makes sense. Good way to do it. So you're shooting "point-on" at all those ranges and string walking accordingly. And 30 is your 3 under point-on without a crawl. You may find some wacky arrow flight with broadheads when changing crawls. That's typically why string walking is avoided with hunting. But, for 20 yards and in, sounds like you got your fixed crawl set.
    I've experimented with fixed crawls over the years. Every time I do I just cant get over the increased sound of the bow and end up back to shooting 3 under. I anchor high, shoot 3 under, and try to set my arrows up so that my point-on is around 25-30. Then gap. So typically for 15yards i'm putting my point 6-8" below POI, 2-4" below at 20. Point on somewhere in the 25-30 range.
    If I was shooting a bow where I could adjust tiller, I'd probably give a fixed crawl another try
    Last edited by LowbanksArcher; March 5th, 2022 at 10:15 AM.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder