Thread: Modifying 10ML-II Breech Plug

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Modifying 10ML-II Breech Plug

The purpose of modifying my Savage Breech Plug was to enhance the strength of the ignition and that it did. My new formatted data sheets I will use to share load info will specify which BP was used. Yes, I have more than one type of modified BP that I will be experimenting with. I thought I would forgo any long-winded explanation and will answer any questions concerning this modification.
    Now I am not recommending anyone make this modification unless you first address the poor head-spacing that exists with a 10ML-II. Proper head-spacing adds to the improved ignition and really reduces blowback around the primer. Below is a diagram of the recessed BP with proper head-spacing.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hi was wondering why you stayed with the vent screw why not upgrade to carbide insert ? last 5 times longer.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Would you believe I drill my own vents? Took a few drills busted to get the hang of it. Once I got on a roll I drilled a good supply of vents to have on hand.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That's great! what kind of jig did you make to hold and center the screw?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RS460 View Post
    That's great! what kind of jig did you make to hold and center the screw?
    I basically made a holding plate out of 3/8” aluminum. Drilled and tapped the holes along with a chamfer for the head. The screws are classified as Grade-12 that refers to their hardness. As for centering the drill it was done by eyesight from 2-different angles, 0 and 90-degrees. Even if some are drilled on a slight angle it doesn’t appear to matter. Drill from the bottom side of screw after a good tightness to the plate. Drill press was set at about 800rpm.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nice set-up. Looks like you used a center drill to start. What size drill bit are you using? Do you use a lubricant to keep the drill bit cool?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

No Centre Drill.
    .030" bits worked best for me.
    Just a drop or two of cutting fluid.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info and pics. I am going to try to make a few.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RS460 View Post
    Thanks for the info and pics. I am going to try to make a few.
    Enjoy the challenge. A key element is how much pressure and feed with the drill. I also just drilled roughly half way, retracted drill and brushed away shavings. I was averaging 10 plus vents per drill.