Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OOD 2022 BIG GOBBLER FUN CONTEST LEADERBOARD - official thread to post your scores and pics

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Here’s our Leaderboard going into the first weekend of the season
    Markster 46.5
    Jerryklimczuk 42
    TurkeyJohn 40

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Third times the charm - took out my son and a buddy this morning. Hunted the roost at my place, only 1 hen and a distant rooste Tom, who gobbled once. Otherwise was a gorgeous, but silent morning. Switched to another property, had a hen respond, nothing else. Back for a refill of coffee and a couple pancakes, and out to another spot late morning. At first it seemed like another bust, but some persistent calling eventually got some hens to respond, which got 2 different toms to sound off. I cut off the hens, cut off the toms, worked my mouth call and slate, sometimes at the same time, and over half and hour managed to pull those toms over where my buddy got a shot. As the caller I got to sit behind him and watch it all unfold over his shoulder, like my own live hunting show! Super day, and hopefully the last of the frosty mornings.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Lenny; April 30th, 2022 at 08:00 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Way to go Lenny, did you get any pics.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Pics Lenny!!!!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Added a pic to my original post - my buddy's not in the contest so I wasn't going to post it here, but why not, nice day and a nice bird. And his first in over 10 years.

I love the early season - no leaves, no bugs and not too hot

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Nice looking bird Lenny. That stump looks like it was made for bird pictures! Love the fan.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Had a good morning on Saturday after a lousy day on Tuesday as I couldn't make out for the opener.
    On Tuesday all we saw was lone hens all morning which was odd as there were no jakes or toms with them.
    Saturday morning the 2 of us get to the farm around 5:00AM and proceeded to our spots one at both ends of this field we hunt.
    I started setting up my jake and hen decoy and thought I heard a distant gobble and said can't be too early still then I heard another which was closer so I went and sat down and waited till it was legal shooting time and took out my shotgun from it's case and loaded it. Started with a couple of soft clucks and immediately got 2 gobbles then 2 more, waited a couple minutes and repeated the soft cluck and heard 4 different toms gobbling back and they were about 30 yards behind me. then one after the other I heard them fly down and at that point started hen clucks with my box call and they gobbled back it took only about 10 minutes when they entered the field to my left and started strutting towards my decoys silently. I wish I would have filmed it as all 4 toms were in full strut all the way to my decoys which were out 25 yards and I picked out the one with the longest beard and boom game over looked at my phone and it was only 6:00AM. the other 3 birds stood there for a bit and head straight for my buddy and 2 minutes later another boom and it we were done.
    My bird had a 10-1/4" Bird, 13/8" Spurs and weighed 24.2LbsIMG_0081.jpg[IMG_0080.jpgIMG_0079.jpgIMG_0078.jpgIMG_0077.jpg

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Nice bird and great story!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Nice Tom, Congrats!
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Nice bird Articcat!

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk