Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask a CO: Why is there no hunting season for red squirrels?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default Ask a CO: Why is there no hunting season for red squirrels?

https://oodmag.com/ask-a-co-why-is-t...red-squirrels/

Q: There are hunting seasons in Ontario for grey and fox squirrels, which are classified as game mammals. Why is there no hunting season for red squirrels, which are classified as furbearing mammals and can be harvested with a trapper’s licence? They are the most destructive predators of boreal forest songbird eggs and hatchlings and newborn hares and rabbits.

John Gartner, West Hill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I agree, they are a destructive pest.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Maybe time to re think allowing hunting them-since the fur trade is dying,no one cares for fur-why protect a pelt from shots,if no one actually cares for pelts.

With the harm they do- is it time to change the regulation ,like .....now?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I know they can be a pest around a cottage. If they get in they pee everywhere they nest.
    It's not the mountain ahead that wears you out, it's the grain of sand in yer shoe.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Maybe time to re think allowing hunting them-since the fur trade is dying,no one cares for fur-why protect a pelt from shots,if no one actually cares for pelts.

With the harm they do- is it time to change the regulation ,like .....now?
    They don't even use the pelt. They use the tail for fly making. So best way is still to blast them. Plus they're the most annoying noisy thing in the woods in the fall to the point where I've seen Martens pissed off enough to chase them out of annoyance alone.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They're a pest. Destructive little b*#tards. I pretty well had them eradicated here at my cabin until my new neighbour from the south bought the place next door and started feeding them. "Awww, they're cute" his wife say's as she scatters peanuts all over the ground....
    I'm not sure if she has clued in yet what all the shots are coming from my direction?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I'm not saying I have seen it first hand, but when they get out of hand and a decision is made to declare war on the tree rats, the few left after a while will actually turn nocturnal around the cabin. Have seen one out at midnight feeding while having a pee break, unless they are actually nocturnal to start with which I kinda doubt.
    If you think there are 3 or 4 around causing damage, put a zero behind that number.
    John

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnjyb View Post
    I'm not saying I have seen it first hand, but when they get out of hand and a decision is made to declare war on the tree rats, the few left after a while will actually turn nocturnal around the cabin. Have seen one out at midnight feeding while having a pee break, unless they are actually nocturnal to start with which I kinda doubt.
    If you think there are 3 or 4 around causing damage, put a zero behind that number.
    John
    Sure you're not seeing flying squirrels? Usually every time I see flying squirrels it's usually in the same area I see red squirrels.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Cute as heck but destructive. I have had them do a lot of damage when they get in my garage.
    rodmcd

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    Sure you're not seeing flying squirrels? Usually every time I see flying squirrels it's usually in the same area I see red squirrels.
    It could have been, but I have only seen 1 flying squirrel in my lifetime.
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast