Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ask a CO: Why is there no hunting season for red squirrels?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I once saw a woman wearing a fur coat made of red squirrel pelts… wouldn’t have been my first choice.
    Last edited by Sam Menard; April 16th, 2022 at 08:07 AM.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

i saw somewhere that mepps will give you a free lure for sending in so many tails

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    i saw somewhere that mepps will give you a free lure for sending in so many tails
    I wonder how many lures they can make with one tail… I think they are getting the better deal.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

In my garden shed, I keep a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water, with a peanut butter coated slippery stick, about a foot above it. I started doing this last fall, and it lowered my chipmunk and red squirrel problem significantly, mice too. I still have a couple of reds, that survived to freeze up, when the bucket of death stops performing. I will be resetting the trap very soon. For the stick, I use a broom stick, sticking out of the wood pile, and a water bottle with the top and bottom cut off. The water bottle slips over the stick, and has peanut butter on the water bottle. The rodents crawl out onto the stick, to lick, and slip, then they drown.

Before I switched to this setup, I was using a live trap. I was feeling remorseful, every time I had to sink them into the pond to drown them. For some reason my caveman brain prefers to find them dead, rather than watch them die.

MC

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    In my garden shed, I keep a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water, with a peanut butter coated slippery stick, about a foot above it. I started doing this last fall, and it lowered my chipmunk and red squirrel problem significantly, mice too. I still have a couple of reds, that survived to freeze up, when the bucket of death stops performing. I will be resetting the trap very soon. For the stick, I use a broom stick, sticking out of the wood pile, and a water bottle with the top and bottom cut off. The water bottle slips over the stick, and has peanut butter on the water bottle. The rodents crawl out onto the stick, to lick, and slip, then they drown.

Before I switched to this setup, I was using a live trap. I was feeling remorseful, every time I had to sink them into the pond to drown them. For some reason my caveman brain prefers to find them dead, rather than watch them die.

MC
    I use a similar setup, just a rolling can with PB over the pail. But I use antifreeze so it works all year long and it preserves the animials so they don't smell if your away for sometime. I've had them running at my cottage year round for 20 years now. Just dispose of the dead critters properly so something else doesn't eat them. Mine go in my burn barrel.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Maybe just me but i find these methods sad.
    rodmcd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123