Thread: Timbren Off Road Trailer Suspension

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Timbren Off Road Trailer Suspension

Anyone have a trailer set up with this off-road suspension system:

https://timbren.ca/p-35853-axle-less...tl09lbnbogvLVo

F198643080.jpg

I have a small boat trailer that works fine on the pavement but as soon as i start dragging it into back lakes on 4WD trails and backing it into lakes on less than ideal launch sites it pretty quickly gets destroyed.

Had one season where i broke the leaf springs 3 times, wrecked the slipper joint on one side, multiple flats, destroyed rims etc...

The Timbren suspension is not cheap but will double my clearance and no axle to get hung up. It will also take up to a 16 inch rim and was thinking of going with Duratracs which for the miles they are going to get and being stored inside should outlast me. I also carry a 12V compressor all the time so i could easily air the Duratracs down on the rough stuff and air back up once i hit the pavement. Still hemming and hawing though as the suspension, set of idler hubs, 2 tires plus 2 rims plus HST is more money than the trailer is worth - but i know i am sick of stocking an array of parts and tires for that thing plus the time and inconvenience when i break an axle and set of leaf springs in the middle of nowhere.

I tried to find a pre-built off road trailer for small boats (12 to 14 feet) and they do exist but are 5K+ and for some reason couldn't find any in Canada.

Thoughts? On my mind right now as the ice will be gone in the next 2 weeks and there are some really good bear bait sites that i access by zodiac and trailer killing trails.
    Last edited by Species8472; April 15th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Those look amazing!

I checked out the website, couldn't tell but I'm assuming the price is for a complete kit (both sides). I really like the design. I like, even more, the fact they are made in Canada with a local dealer. I don't think the price i is really out to lunch considering they are a bolt on kit so no special skill or equipment required. A decent set of half axles from Cerka are not much less, and I don't think they would articulate nearly as well.

Now you have me thinking.... thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    Those look amazing!

I checked out the website, couldn't tell but I'm assuming the price is for a complete kit (both sides). I really like the design. I like, even more, the fact they are made in Canada with a local dealer. I don't think the price i is really out to lunch considering they are a bolt on kit so no special skill or equipment required. A decent set of half axles from Cerka are not much less, and I don't think they would articulate nearly as well.

Now you have me thinking.... thanks for posting.
    Price is for a set. You also need a set of idler hubs which is another +/- $150 for a set.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

If you wanted to save the cash for the hubs, the bearing sizes are pretty standard based on axle capacity so you may be able to use your originals. The only thing I didn't like after watching the install video is that converting from leaf springs you would have to weld a plate or angle inside the frame rail to bolt the inside part of the axle mount.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    If you wanted to save the cash for the hubs, the bearing sizes are pretty standard based on axle capacity so you may be able to use your originals. The only thing I didn't like after watching the install video is that converting from leaf springs you would have to weld a plate or angle inside the frame rail to bolt the inside part of the axle mount.
    If I go this route I was planning to add 1/4 inch thick plate as needed to facilitate installation. As for reusing my hubs they have had the $%#@ beat out of them over the years so new ones are probably a good idea.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well I like the system, maybe you'll get some differing opinions in this thread. It seems like decent value for the price in my opinion.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have a bush trailer for behind the ATV.
    One spring the axle tore off from dragging in snow and catching a tree laying across the road.
    Got a set of torsion axles from Princess Auto.
    Haven't had any issues since rebuilding the trailer about 6 years ago.
    Treat the trailer very rough and in very rough trails.
    Added a sheet of plywood onto the metal box and bolted all together rather than welding.
    Will see if I can add pictures.

Just happens Princess Auto has the same torsion axles on sale right now.
    One Shot = One Kill

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The way I see it, they are no different than Torq Flex axles that can be had at PA for a tenth of the price. If you're hell bent on destroying trailers, there's no point in wasting money,