Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tag Soup

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    With those henned up gobblers you need to be spending more time hunting late morning and in the afternoon in order to try and catch those birds alone and without hens. Each year I shoot/call in for others 90% of my birds after 10am. Rarely do we kill birds at the first sit of the morning.

Had a good season where I hunt, but noticed the birds were quite henned up compared to previous years as well. Got my two Longbeards, one for Dad, one for my brother, two new hunters' first birds, and 4 other birds for friends I regularly hunt with. Had a lot of people miss this year, but that's all part of the deal! Happens to the best of us.

No complaints, except for the fact that the season's over!

-N.
    Do you mostly yelp excited/loud after 10am?
    Or quite down and call soft contempt calls (purring, clucking, feeding etc..)

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Had first tom down by 8am of the opener. Glad I did as it got a tougher after that. Only could get jakes to come in after opening day. On one property called the same 2 jakes in on 4 separate occasions while watching 3 big toms in the background. I couldn't get away from them. If I moved to a different spot they'd eventually find me. I agree with Sprite. Sleep in and go out later in the morning. Most of the time that tom knows exactly where he's heading before coming off the roost and you're not likely to change his mind otherwise.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    Do you mostly yelp excited/loud after 10am?
    Or quite down and call soft contempt calls (purring, clucking, feeding etc..)

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
    It’s a real mix of everything. Most of my late morning/afternoon hunting is spent covering ground running and gunning. Get to a farm, walk and hit the box call loud every 100-150 yards until you get an answer or run out of room to move. If you get an answer great, set up shop and call him in but if nothing I head to the next farm.

I’ll be honest — I like calling. I like calling loud and aggressive. Maybe that hurts me sometimes, maybe it doesn’t. My second bird this year I got tired of walking and sat down in a likely looking woodlot. Called once, settled in and shot him 2 minutes later. Came in completely silent with 2 hens at 3pm, had to have sat down within 50 yards of him. There’s no hard and fast rules. I’m not big on decoys, so rarely run them. Too many people get caught up in what calls to make when. Sound like a hen, and follow your gut. If you want to call to him, do it. It all really comes down to your comfort level, and spending time with the birds. The more time in the woods calling turkeys the more you’ll have an idea of what to do when.

The way I hunt it’s very much a numbers game (in terms of farms to hunt) and putting miles on the boots. Walk and call long enough you’ll find one that wants to play ball. A normal day in the woods for me means 15+km of hiking, usually with multiple encounters with stubborn birds along the way.

-N.
    Last edited by Sprite; June 3rd, 2022 at 06:54 PM.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah Tag soup... the bittersweet appetizer before the main course of Roasted Failure ?
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Different year for sure. Finally got a nice Tom the last week, never heard a gobble on the property till the day I shot him. Never gone that long waiting for something to set up and roost on the property.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah Tag soup... the bittersweet appetizer before the main course of Roasted Failure ?
    LOL pretty funny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12