Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose calling

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Moose calling

I am bow hunting moose for the first time in Sept and wondering if folks can share some helpful hints on calling in Bulls
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

You-Tube has lots of great videos, let us know how you make out

Member for Life

User Info Menu

First thing, call where the moose are. Do your scouting, and find fresh sign.
    Next, once you find sign, the wind is paramount. If the wind won’t be good for the spot, don’t even consider it. Find spots for different wind directions. Calling, I start off calling quietly, facing down to the ground. If after 15 minutes or so and you don’t hear or see anything, I’ll call a bit louder. I usually stick to cow calls, with the odd bull grunt. Don’t give up early. I’ve had several bulls come in close to noon. It usually depends on where they are coming from. There are lots of vids on moose calling….start practicing !!! You are hunting at a good time and will catch the rut. You should find lots of sign, fighting, breeding etc..go from there …
    When setting up, position shooters in likely travel routes, and call from a spot down wind. You want to pull a bull past a shooter on its way to the call.
    Last edited by rick_iles; June 13th, 2022 at 11:20 AM.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If you have one hang up smashing trees or with a cow, get the wind right and get aggressive and go at him racking a canoe paddle or shoulder bone on branches,
    being horny or anger is generally there demise, just figure out what kind or mood he is in

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    If you have one hang up smashing trees or with a cow, get the wind right and get aggressive and go at him racking a canoe paddle or shoulder bone on branches,
    being horny or anger is generally there demise, just figure out what kind or mood he is in
    Yes, that will get your heart rate up !!
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Great info
    Thanks
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Basic moose calls are rather simple to learn and you don’t need to be an expert to get a response, especially during the archery season (peak rut). I strongly suggest that you pick up a dvd or audio recording about moose calling. Many years ago I purchased a 4-DVDset by Alex Gouthro which is very good. https://moosemadnessproductions.com/

Just to add to what Rick said about the wind, bulls will most likely approach from downwind or circle you to get downwind. Sometimes the only response that you will get from a bull is an antler knock which sounds like a thunk or clunk. Yearling bulls may just sneak in silently.

Often, a bull may respond from a ways off and grunt the whole way in. A clever tactic is to have a couple of hunters involved… one hunter calls, and the other(s) sneaks into the woods to intercept the approaching bull. It’s very important to watch the wind with this technique. It’s deadly when everyone does their part.
    Last edited by Sam Menard; June 17th, 2022 at 07:46 PM.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I like to pre-call in areas I’m going to morning hunt at dusk. I don’t bow hunt evenings for moose once you’ve hit a moose with an arrow you need time and daylight on your side. After supper I scout and call or sometimes go fishing and call a bit from the water before dark. Calling the evening before can pull a bull into your area overnight so he’s there for your morning hunt.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I will put in a second Vote for moose madness productions.
    I bought Alex’s DVD a few years ago and found it very worthwhile , and great value for the money

Just starting out

User Info Menu

What kind of broadhead and arrow weight are you planning on using ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast