Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you go to the stand?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default When do you go to the stand?

Mike Miller of A&HTV explains why he goes to the stand at this time in the upcoming August 2022 issue of OOD. What do YOU think is the best?
    What can I but enumerate old themes,
    First that sea-rider Oisin led by the nose
    Through three enchanted islands, allegorical dreams,
    Vain gaiety, vain battle, vain repose,
    Themes of the embittered heart, or so it seems.
    -- "The Circus Animals’ Desertion" by William Butler Yeats

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

For me,in the morning,I go in well before first light and official sunrise. In the afternoon,around 2PM and stay until after official sunset and come out after dark. Most of my success for Deer and Varmint/Predator is in the PM,for Moose,in the AM.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I go in when I can as long as the wind getting into the stand allows it to
    how many times have we all been surprised when a deer, bear, moose shows up when their "not supposed to"

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I ain’t going to lie… as soon as I can but 99% it’s after sunrise. No matter how early I get up it’s the same thing.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Depends on a few factors, hunting pressure, time of the year (pre rut, rut, or post rut), but mostly when work permits.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

0.5 hr before legal shooting time i am up in the tree,already sitting .Calming myself-and the forest around me.
    By the time the legal comes and the "tools"are out,very few critters would know, i went in.
    Depends where i hunt( 50 to 90 km from my place) i wake up accordingly,to allow achieving this.

On the afternoon my schedule is "random"-tend to "count"backwards from legal ,to allow at least 3 hr sit -to make the trip worthwhile.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I prefer to go in at legal and stalk my way to the stand. Slowly and steadily making my way in, I pay attention to everything. Many a time have we bumped big game like this, that we would have probably not had a crack at if we were already in our stands.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Depends on how much 40 Creek was flowing after dark at the woodstove the night previous.

Either way the tags always get punched sooner or later.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Apprentice

User Info Menu

For early archery out the 'back 40' (more like back 5) for deer, it's always before dawn and most activity is around 8:30AM but I love to watch the bush wake up as the sun comes up and I head back to the house around 10-10:30AM. Afternoon sits vary but end near legal limits. For rifle season in the big bush, I still go in before dawn to enjoy the bush waking up but I'm a solo still hunter mostly and stay all day.
    Last edited by canthitathing; June 23rd, 2022 at 06:58 AM.
    CCFR Member

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I like to go in early, right at legal sunrise, but I don't fret if it's after full light.
    I've shot just one deer at sunup and a couple at dusk; most I've taken around 11:00 a.m.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast