Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Winchester super suppressed on game

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default Winchester super suppressed on game

    I was wondering if you can use this ammo on game? If you can that would be great. I was thinking of picking up a box but wanted to know because I would take targets with it and see if you can shoot a deer with it

    Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    What calibre? I don't see any place in Canada selling it.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

  4. #3
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    After looking at the Winchester site it states " for range and target use" . Muzzle energy for a 255 gr 350 legend is 636, 300 blackout 200 gr muzzle energy is 400 and the 308 win muzzle energy shooting a 168 gr bullet is only 419. So considering a regular 200 gr .308 round muzzle energy is 2550 I wouldn't even consider carrying a box of Winchester supper suppressed out to the field.
    Last edited by Tigboy 304; June 30th, 2022 at 11:33 AM.
    OFAH Member since 88.
    Gun control is a partnership between liberals and criminals.
    The best way for liberals to fight disinformation is to stop spending it.

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saikk View Post
    I was wondering if you can use this ammo on game? If you can that would be great. I was thinking of picking up a box but wanted to know because I would take targets with it and see if you can shoot a deer with it

    Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk
    Absolutely inappropriate for all hunting. The manufacturers warn against it. This ammo is designed specifically for target shooting,only.
    All our visitors bring happiness,some by coming and others by leaving.

  6. #5
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Absolutely inappropriate for all hunting. The manufacturers warn against it. This ammo is designed specifically for target shooting,only.
    Ok yes totally inappropriate for deer but would it make a good load to pot a grouse while deer hunting?
    Ya the problem of mixing them up and all would not be the best practices to carry but just thinking.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Ok yes totally inappropriate for deer but would it make a good load to pot a grouse while deer hunting?
    Ya the problem of mixing them up and all would not be the best practices to carry but just thinking.
    Aside from the potential for mixup, the point of impact is likely substantially different.

  8. #7
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saikk View Post
    I was wondering if you can use this ammo on game? If you can that would be great. I was thinking of picking up a box but wanted to know because I would take targets with it and see if you can shoot a deer with it

    Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk
    Big game aside, they look like a potential round for taking small game for those who don't reload. I've been reloading cast for that purpose for years. You would have to resight your firearm in for to handle them for small game purposes, and of course resight it in again when going for big game. The upside is it will expand the firearm's use for taking grouse and rabbit. They could make the .22 obsolete as a small game rifle, except when you're hunting small game in the open season of big game, with out the appropriate big game licensing unless you can convince the CO you are out hunting coyotes.

    You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Big game aside, they look like a potential round for taking small game for those who don't reload. I've been reloading cast for that purpose for years. You would have to resight your firearm in for to handle them for small game purposes, and of course resight it in again when going for big game. The upside is it will expand the firearm's use for taking grouse and rabbit. They could make the .22 obsolete as a small game rifle, except when you're hunting small game in the open season of big game, with out the appropriate big game licensing unless you can convince the CO you are out hunting coyotes.

    You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    If you're absolutely restricted to one rifle, sure.

    I'd rather just pay $200 and get a 22. The cost difference in ammunition will quickly make up the price of the $200

  10. #9
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    If you're absolutely restricted to one rifle, sure.

    I'd rather just pay $200 and get a 22. The cost difference in ammunition will quickly make up the price of the $200
    You may have a good point, they will probably demand as much for this ammunition as for the big game ammo. Being a reloader the cost different for ammo is minimal, that's probably why I missed factoring that in. However it will provide more use for center-fires and extend the opportunity to get a better feel for them as oppose to limiting their use to the short big game season. I used to do a lot of chuck hunting and found the .22 really too under powdered for the job. A low power cast bullet from a centre-fire does better if not more humane kill on them

    You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •