Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Painting canoe

  1. #1
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default Painting canoe

    Any-one tried painting a plastic / RAMX canoe ?

    My neighbour gave me an old Pelican 15.5' canoe, in red.

    its not the best canoe ... heavy, seats are structural, with a metal pipe running in the hull, held in place with the seats, so I assume not much modifications can be made.

    but I want to paint the inside and outside [just above water line ? ] of it to use for waterfowl hunting, and maybe moose hunting...

    my plan is to use Rust oleum paint from home depot, flat black inside, and maybe flat dark green for outside ... can anyone recommend me better paint or solution to use ? I think the paint will start chipping off very soon, but even if it last a season id be happy ..
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Spray bomb Krylon fusion.

    It bonds to plastics / royalex a little better than most. Might still chip a bit, but lasts far longer than most I've seen.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

    Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post
    Any-one tried painting a plastic / RAMX canoe ?

    My neighbour gave me an old Pelican 15.5' canoe, in red.

    its not the best canoe ... heavy, seats are structural, with a metal pipe running in the hull, held in place with the seats, so I assume not much modifications can be made.

    but I want to paint the inside and outside [just above water line ? ] of it to use for waterfowl hunting, and maybe moose hunting...

    my plan is to use Rust oleum paint from home depot, flat black inside, and maybe flat dark green for outside ... can anyone recommend me better paint or solution to use ? I think the paint will start chipping off very soon, but even if it last a season id be happy ..
    Buy three cans (or more) of any paint that can cover the canoe material in black,dark green and brown,stand back and let 'er rip with spraying different colors all at once,especially,if you want to use the canoe for waterfowl. Neatness doesn't count. The idea is to break up your outline. For exposed aluminum,I suggest using rolls of camo tape to stop reflection. Do the bottom,too,or it'll just look wierd.
    It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

  5. #4
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Buy three cans (or more) of any paint that can cover the canoe material in black,dark green and brown,stand back and let 'er rip with spraying different colors all at once,especially,if you want to use the canoe for waterfowl. Neatness doesn't count. The idea is to break up your outline. For exposed aluminum,I suggest using rolls of camo tape to stop reflection. Do the bottom,too,or it'll just look wierd.
    X2 - good way to accomplish your idea Ata83.
    I would add a khaki color as well.Adding light areas helps break up the outline more efficiently.

  6. #5
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    X2 on Krylon. Toughest paint I have ever used on plastic. A clean surface is a must.
    rodmcd

  7. #6
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Great Ideas, thanks everyone,

    will post pics when done.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

  8. #7
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    as Rod M said.

    Surface prep is the key to paint adhesion, expect to spend more time prepping than painting. Hand scrub the canoe with soap and water then wipe it down with mineral sprits. Krylon Fusion for Plastic is a good option for painting your canoe.
    Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR
    Cher Car Dutch Shepherds Chelsea HR, MiSAR

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Remember no matter what you spray on it will be much easier to scratch off. But pretty much any spray like Tremclad will work. We just used it on a Coleman Flat bottom boat to camo it.

    Might be a slight more durable if you paint with a brush and do two coats one thick. Also prime first.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

  10. #9
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    so finished painting the canoe, but the spray paint EASILY scratches off ...

    what are the thoughts on applying a layer of clear epoxy to protect the paint ? would it make it look too shiny ?
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

  11. #10
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post
    so finished painting the canoe, but the spray paint EASILY scratches off ...

    what are the thoughts on applying a layer of clear epoxy to protect the paint ? would it make it look too shiny ?
    No experience,but if you epoxy it,let it dry,then lightly sand the epoxy with fine sandpaper,it will dull it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •