Thread: Meat rig vs spoons

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Meat rig vs spoons

I'd like to ask the opinion of experienced people about meat rig. I know many use it, including charters, which is supposed to ensure they work great.
    But do this any better than other stuff - spoons, plugs, flies etc.?
    Logically, to think that they are better than artificial stuff we have to assume that salmon could smell or in any other way taste the lure, so it would promote more often bites than with artificial lures. From all the underwater video I watched I really doubt that salmon or any other fish could smell the lure at the speed of trolling. I'm sure natural stuff works better and sometimes the only thing for "stationary fishing" like carp etc.. But for trolling....
    Any thoughts on that?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I have tried all three and gave up on meat rigs due to the extra work vs extra catches. I did notice that different size spoons will work better to match the size of the young fish as they grow during the year. My go-to rig was a spinny run off the cannon ball with no fly, and a spinny and fly on the DR, and add a spoon cheater up high.
    Last edited by Marker; August 12th, 2022 at 03:12 PM.
    Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR
    Cher Car Dutch Shepherds Chelsea HR, MiSAR

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I have tried all three and gave up on meat rigs due to the extra work vs extra catches. I did notice that different size spoons will work better to match the size of the young fish as they grow during the year. My go-to rig was a spinny run off the cannon ball with no fly, and a spinny and fly on the DR, and add a spoon cheater up high.
    In all my times trying a cheater, I have not gotten anything off of them, have they worked for you?

I never tried meat, just always thought it was too much effort for the outcome. I typically run a spin doctor and fly on one rod and straight spoon on the other. Lately I have been running one downrigger with the spin doctor and one dipsey with spoon. No clear winner just yet, the spoon bite has been just slightly better?
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Salmon strike from hunger or reflex. Meat rigs run slower and seem to trigger feeding fish, spoons run faster covering more water and triggers that reflex strike. Spin Drs and flies somewhere in between. Unless you're on the water 24/7 no way of know what presentation will work "best" at any given time of day/week/month. My basic philosophy is bring it all and let the fish decide.
    If I was restrict to only 2 baits this is what I'd put my faith in
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; August 14th, 2022 at 08:15 PM.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Like anything else in fishing some days some things work better. That being said I’m a firm believer in meat rigs and overall they produce more fish that other tactics but not every day.
    But we always run a mix of lures and let the fish tell us what they are in the mood for

If you ever watch a downrigger camera video you will see how long fish will follow your bait some days. I firmly believe scent plays a significant role on those fish.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

In all my times trying a cheater, I have not gotten anything off of them, have they worked for you?
    Iíve asked a similar question several years ago here. Got reptiles that yes, a cheater line is definitely worse to put.. One guy said he gets about 30% of bites on the cheater.
    Iím not sure about the percentage but I get fish on the cheater line relatively often. I remember one day I saw very active fish at 80í, it chased the ball very actively but I got bites mostly on the cheater.
    I always put a cheater line if my ball is below 30í.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I'm with FINS on this on, bring it all. When on Erie I bring spoons and meat, will start with spoons then go with one of each if ones starts to get fish then I switch over to that. I have fished big rivers where vertical jigging works early in season then meat only thing they will take. In summer fishing rivers, I bring a jigging rod, a trolling rod with meat and spoons and a casting rod with smaller spoons. I have been out on erie with a friend that only fishes with spoons or body baits and another friend that was out at same time in same area only using meat. The meat boat took about 2 hours to get 3 man limit, we tooks 6 hours to get 8 for our 3 people.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Yes, they have worked but to a lesser degree than than the traditional one line method, its a good option to use when you have more fishing licence holders on the boat to get max lines in the water. I only use cheaters when I have experienced people on the boat, newbies will get tangles with all that gear.
    Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR
    Cher Car Dutch Shepherds Chelsea HR, MiSAR

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Yes, they have worked but to a lesser degree than than the traditional one line method, its a good option to use when you have more fishing licence holders on the boat to get max lines in the water. I only use cheaters when I have experienced people on the boat, newbies will get tangles with all that gear.
    use to run cheaters and they worked well enough to keep 'em in play. Had different set ups from traditional sliders to fixed snaps that you could anchor at any depth above the main line. Now that you can use 2 rods per person when alone don't need the extra gear, also since the arrival of the fleas find its hassle enough just to run the main line and with clearer water find shallow setups if not far back and away don't get hit as much. Don't bother with them anymore
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted