Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell phone signal booster

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Cell phone signal booster

I was just wondering if anyone has used a cell phone signal booster while in the bush camping. What model/make and does it actually work?

I’m mainly thinking of getting one for emergency calls, but if I could stream a leaf game in the evening around the campfire then it’s a bonus.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

We use them at work. It helps for fringe areas or between towers but once we get away from the towers and hyways there’s no signal regardless what you use. The one I bought is weboost.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

What Deer Hunter said, I've got an older version for my phone, 40km off the beaten path wit zero bars on the phone, put it in the booster cradle and it goes up to about 75-80% signal. My son just bought one of the newer We Boost ones, same result.
    I found the best spot for the antenna was on the middle of the roof of the truck cab or use a big paint can lid(has to be magnetic) as high as you can on a pole.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I used to own a Wilson back when the Network was 2G. It’s obsolete now and no longer is compatible. I’m thinking of buying a new one as they can make the difference between no signal and connection.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

At our camp, there's no towers for cell signals. GM OnStar doesn't work,either. We have a SAT phone in case of emergency. We've raised a 40' TV tower for FTA TV to watch baseball and hockey and to get the news. The simplicity is very refreshing.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

if you have a weak signal a booster will normally strengthen the signal. we've found that if you have no signal the booster doesn't help. We've tried several brands and none of them seem to work any better

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Back when there was analogue there was much better range. That was back in mid 2000's. My old flip phones worked in places my Smart phone don't. As the speed gets higher and frequency is higher the distance shrinks needing more towers but you get better speed I'm not an electronics person so I might be wrong about that. However I do know I had better range years ago and some places where I use to get a signal I know longer do.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Back when there was analogue there was much better range. That was back in mid 2000's. My old flip phones worked in places my Smart phone don't. As the speed gets higher and frequency is higher the distance shrinks needing more towers but you get better speed I'm not an electronics person so I might be wrong about that. However I do know I had better range years ago and some places where I use to get a signal I know longer do.
    Exactly, my old Motorola bag phone could get a signal..well lets say, I never got to a place it wouldn't work.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Exactly, my old Motorola bag phone could get a signal..well lets say, I never got to a place it wouldn't work.
    I still have that old blister sitting in a closet somewhere. I wonder if it can be classified as an antique?
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken there's places in the undeveloped world that still want them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast