Thread: MPAC and storm damage.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default MPAC and storm damage.

As most of you know there was a pretty good storm that passed through Ontario this spring and cut a trail of destruction through a lot of cottage country. Up my way there was damage within a few kilometres of my cabin. When I took a look over towards Steenburg and Dickie Lake area, Gilmour, places were a complete mess. Some folks had downed trees covering 100 acres or half their property.

So out of interest I call the MPAC folks and ask them what they are going to do with adjusting the property valuation's on all these damaged forests, THE INITIAL REPLY WAS NOTHING. So conversation went like this with the agent......

Q. Why are you not allowing for the loss of all the lumber trees on a persons property.

R. Sir we do not take into consideration tree's as a part of the valuation of a property.

Q. Let me ask YOU a simple question, if you go and look at a 100 acre lot today with beautiful Oak trees and the owner is asking
    $200,000 would you pay that money if a day later the who lot is flattened by the storm?

R. Well probably not.

Q. Well I am under the Forest Management Tax Incentive programme and got an estimate of lumber values 5 years ago, if I get my forester to re assess the loss of board feet of lumber and value would you reconsider and reduce the assessed value of the lot.

R. Well Sir I think you would have a case before an appeal board.

So for you folks out there who have suffered a big loss of lumber trees I would be looking at this angle for an appeal.

Up our way the major lumber guys are cleaning up folks lots but basically getting the wood in return with no money changing hands.

The farmer I get manure from lost the whole top of his barn and half his back forests, they are so bad that you would not risk taking in a chainsaw, they are so badly hung up, so basically need heavy forest equipment to do the job safely, grappler,skidder...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

You do have a point, I’m just not sure if you would get anywhere with them.
    I dealt with them in past and would be very careful when dealing with them.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Dammed if you do dammed if you don't. Making a claim against an insurance company would have to be weighed against the premium increase your sure to get hit with. In the long run don't think you'll be that far ahead.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    You do have a point, I’m just not sure if you would get anywhere with them.
    I dealt with them in past and would be very careful when dealing with them.
    My understanding is that these folks look at comparables selling prices every few years to justify increase taxes on properties, if you have a 100acres of flattened storm damaged lumber on your land there is no way your selling that place and getting what a neighbour would for 100 acres of land not affected. But the initial idea that they do not take into account tree's on a property is pretty silly as it greatly affects the value of a property. I think pictures of a damaged property and a real estate appraisal would get you a substantial tax reduction if its truly based on market value.

Some of the places I have seen lately an owner could not clean up the mess in 20 years of hard work.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A fellow I use to hunt on his land had a property filled with nice cedar and Xmas trees. After the ice storm he was assessed and his taxes were lowered.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you ask me you are playing with fire especially if you haven't been assessed in years. Who is to say (even after taking damage into consideration) it wouldn't increase giving high cost of any properties now days.
    On a side.. I delt with in the past and can tell you, they are not there to help you get anything lowered.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    My understanding is that these folks look at comparables selling prices every few years to justify increase taxes on properties, if you have a 100acres of flattened storm damaged lumber on your land there is no way your selling that place and getting what a neighbour would for 100 acres of land not affected. But the initial idea that they do not take into account tree's on a property is pretty silly as it greatly affects the value of a property. I think pictures of a damaged property and a real estate appraisal would get you a substantial tax reduction if its truly based on market value.

Some of the places I have seen lately an owner could not clean up the mess in 20 years of hard work.
    No arguments there as common sense should prevail.
    Around here anyways you never win when you deal with them.
    Some people were able to get them to change value for their advantage after a long fight only to have it changed to what it was before the following year and starting the arguments all over again.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    If you ask me you are playing with fire especially if you haven't been assessed in years. Who is to say (even after taking damage into consideration) it wouldn't increase giving high cost of any properties now days.
    On a side.. I delt with in the past and can tell you, they are not there to help you get anything lowered.
    That is also my experience.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Bingo Frank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leads by example

User Info Menu

That’s the reality just about anytime you deal with government unfortunately
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill