Thread: Ask an expert: what’s your opinion on the use of a peep sight on a .30-30?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default Ask an expert: what’s your opinion on the use of a peep sight on a .30-30?

https://oodmag.com/ask-an-expert-wha...ht-on-a-30-30/

OOD's Guns and ammo columnists Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham provide insight on the use of a peep sight on a .30-30.
    Last edited by MeghanOOD; September 20th, 2022 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Formatting
    What can I but enumerate old themes,
    First that sea-rider Oisin led by the nose
    Through three enchanted islands, allegorical dreams,
    Vain gaiety, vain battle, vain repose,
    Themes of the embittered heart, or so it seems.
    -- "The Circus Animals’ Desertion" by William Butler Yeats

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

For years before we got the Elcan C79 3.4x sights, all C7s issued had peep sights. Flip type, one with a slightly larger aperture, one for closer range, the other for further out.

The human eye possesses the innate ability to center the top of the front post / blade with the center of the circle in swift fashion. My dad opted for one on his Rem 7600, over the standard iron rear sight.

In a market that seems to want to slap an optic on everything rifle....irons, including peep sights are still a decent go to. In fact all my centerfire rifles have them, even if one of them has a scope mounted on see through rings.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Definitely nothing wrong with a peep sight I can consistently hit clays a 100 yards with my rem 740 30/06. Also the deer definitely can’t tell the deference.
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If that’s the case than I’ve reformed many a wolf.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I made a peep site insert for my 94 and while I liked it in bright conditions, it made it harder to shoot in low light conditions. Went back to buckhorn insert.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My first experience with a peep sight was on a BSA heavy barrel .22 target rifle and I became a fan. There's a Skinner peep on my Ruger 77/44 and it works very well out to 100 yards.

I like scopes too but one quote from the "experts" in their answer made me wince.

The other nice thing about a telescopic sight is that it’s easier to properly identify game at dawn and dusk when you usually expect the most action.
    Using your rifle scope to "properly identify game" is a very bad practice. If you haven't identified what you see as game you have absolutely no business pointing your rifle at it. Use binoculars instead.
    Last edited by Badenoch; October 5th, 2022 at 12:58 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Unfortunately my eyes never worked for any kinds of sites since I was real young.
    Only scope for this guy.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have a very hard time seeing through my peep sight in the evening when light gets low. Especially on a dark target.
    Otherwise, it does the job. I'm thinking about using a Fibre optic front site to solve the issue. I'm really not interested in using a scope.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    My first experience with a peep sight was on a BSA heavy barrel .22 target rifle and I became a fan. There's a Skinner peep on my Ruger 77/44 and it works very well out to 100 yards.

I like scopes too but one quote from the "experts" in their answer made me wince.

Using your rifle scope to "properly identify game" is a very bad practice. If you haven't identified what you see as game you have absolutely no business pointing your rifle at it. Use binoculars instead.
    Great advice. I've seen it done by an old timer who has since passed and still gives me the heebie jeebies when I think about it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

For close range and heavy brush,open/peep sights. For long range fields and hydro cuts,it's scoped rifles. I used scopes all the time. Once I had my cataracts removed and new lenses inserted in each eye,I find I no longer need them for hunting inside 100M. I've removed the scopes from 2 of my three big game rifles.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I found it easier to acquire the front site with a peep site rather than an open site, however I found it difficult to use on a moving target. I shoot with both eyes open and even though following a fast moving deer and trying to drop down to pick up the bead with a peep site I just couldn't do it consistently so I went to a 1-1/2 x 4 scope and it has been doing the job nicely for a good many years...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks