Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FFF 2022 upland season

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

With Nova up and running and days counting down it was off to the woods. Got to the first spot and found someone alrerady setting out with his Setter a generous offer to join him was graciously declined as not to interfer with his hunt so off to the next spot. This spot was a new to me bush so more of a reconnaissance session. As I geared up was greet by a nice looking little springer in the parking lot. Was trying to determine if it was a lost dog or some hunter missing in the woods when the owner made his way down trail. Chatted with him reminiscing about the good old days as he was my senior by a bit and after off Nova and I went. Found 2 got one and added a new bush to the rotation. Returned to the first spot and found it vacant. Wasn't to concerned hunting behind someone as Stella excels at working reflushed birds. Found 5 got 3. Almost got the drop on a grouse walking back to the vehicle. Had the gun shouldered and Stella was strolling up the path. She spung around as she caught scent of something crossing the road. Although instantly knew it was a grousy situation but not fast enough to prepare for the flush all one could do was way good bye and say next time.[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nVP9br]
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Always nice to find a new spot, even better when you can meet some good people. Icing on the cake that you managed a few birds along the way! Looking good.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Left the fog behind me and drove into prefect blue skies, Started hunting just as the frost burned off the ground. I feel more birds have left than arriving but the dogs managed to find 6 stragglers. With no real weather on the horizon think can stretch it out for another week but the window is closing on another season,
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2nWa3RK]

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

You might just find them still here, or even arriving, after the controlled deer hunt.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Went 1 for 5-6 today. Crazy warm for Nov. called it quits early as overheated walking the bush.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

love those grey county forests. so many around and lots of birds

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

So finally got together with a new member to the setter club. Meet this morning with the only expectation of a good walk in the bush as this late in the season one would expect the woodcock to have moved on. As it turned out found about a dozen birds before the heat exhausted both dogs and men. The icing on the cake was one of those once in a season perfect execution of a hunt plan. Started with Stella locking on point just up from my partner stating "Always find a grouse here". As it happened I was able to be the wingman and position myself for the shot. Once ready had my partner work up to Stella and flushed the bird. The grouse broke and gave me a rare clear shot and a wonderful memory to add to the season.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    So finally got together with a new member to the setter club. Meet this morning with the only expectation of a good walk in the bush as this late in the season one would expect the woodcock to have moved on. As it turned out found about a dozen birds before the heat exhausted both dogs and men. The icing on the cake was one of those once in a season perfect execution of a hunt plan. Started with Stella locking on point just up from my partner stating "Always find a grouse here". As it happened I was able to be the wingman and position myself for the shot. Once ready had my partner work up to Stella and flushed the bird. The grouse broke and gave me a rare clear shot and a wonderful memory to add to the season.
    I can validate that there are elements of truth in this story

Last edited by finsfurfeathers; November 15th, 2022 at 10:31 AM.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Looks like a great hunt, found this guy on the road, to bad whoever hit it didn’t take time to clean it. Unfortunately it got run over again, so the meat was wrecked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If that’s the case than I’ve reformed many a wolf.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default BYOP hullet hunt

Curiousity got the best of me today so a drive to Hullet was on the menu. Suprised to find the corn still standing usually have it cleared for the control. Most of the guys about were getting ready for the deer hunt as the target site was quite busy. Really didn't see dogs out. Ran into one guy that reported seeing 5-6 birds and getting one rough looking bird with no tail during the week. Pushed some woodcock areas moved 4 and didn't run into any pheasants. Finished the day With a BYOP Nova seemed happy about.
    Last edited by finsfurfeathers; November 14th, 2022 at 01:16 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast