Thread: Video: Close Up of Tom Turkey Preening (Ottawa - October 6)

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Video: Close Up of Tom Turkey Preening (Ottawa - October 6)

Hello All,
    Here's some video footage from this past week, showing a tom turkey preening. With 5,000 to 6,000 feathers, it certainly is a big task...

Cheers,
    Justin

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Really nice video.
    They are quite the bird. Our family raised turkeys for many years - the white ones that became popular in the 1950s. Thanksgiving makes me think of them - busy time.
    Many stories I could tell, but I remember when the guard dog jumped through my Dad's bedroom window to alert him to stray dogs attacking the turkeys.
    Also remember when my Dad was delivering a turkey and the farmer's dog came roaring out and grabbed the turkey from my Dad's hand. The farmer called to say "Where is my turkey? It's Thanksgiving." Oh I delivered it my Dad said.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

nice video, I guess you found your turkey hunting spot
    ihunt

"life is 80% preparation and 20% perspiration"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Great video. Quality was excellent. Was it a long lens? Big crop? Or were you just close to the bird? Thanks.
    rodmcd

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thanks Justin-nice video ( another nice one).
    I knew birds doing preening(just by observing them ...mostly back home ,domesticated chickens,ducks and geese).

After this video(and your omments about the magnitude of the task at hand) i spent some time to understand preening-wow,what a a way of Mother Nature taking care of their own.
    A true marvel of "engineering"feathers are actually.
    Cheers

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Really nice video.
    They are quite the bird. Our family raised turkeys for many years - the white ones that became popular in the 1950s. Thanksgiving makes me think of them - busy time.
    Many stories I could tell, but I remember when the guard dog jumped through my Dad's bedroom window to alert him to stray dogs attacking the turkeys.
    Also remember when my Dad was delivering a turkey and the farmer's dog came roaring out and grabbed the turkey from my Dad's hand. The farmer called to say "Where is my turkey? It's Thanksgiving." Oh I delivered it my Dad said.
    Great story, Sharon! I dated a girl once who's uncle owned a turkey farm. Going into that bard of 4,000 birds at my feet sure was a little overwhelming, lol!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ihunt View Post
    nice video, I guess you found your turkey hunting spot
    Public land, but off limits to hunting. Which is ok - great for my photography and trail cam work

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rodmcd View Post
    Great video. Quality was excellent. Was it a long lens? Big crop? Or were you just close to the bird? Thanks.
    rodmcd
    This was shot with a 150-500mm telephoto. The birds were approx. 50 feet away. Saying that, the birds are pretty comfortable around me at this off-limits to hunting spot - sometimes walking to within 15 feet of me without any worry.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Thanks Justin-nice video ( another nice one).
    I knew birds doing preening(just by observing them ...mostly back home ,domesticated chickens,ducks and geese).

After this video(and your omments about the magnitude of the task at hand) i spent some time to understand preening-wow,what a a way of Mother Nature taking care of their own.
    A true marvel of "engineering"feathers are actually.
    Cheers
    Cheers, gbk - appreciate the kind words. Yes, preening is quite the undertaking. All fascinating stuff in the world of wildlife!