Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Pet Insurance

  1. #1
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default Pet Insurance

    I lost my yellow lab to pyometra after spending a fortune at the vets. No regrets on the spending but rethinking the whole pet insurance possibility for my new pup. Curious if any members have had experience with pet insurance and any possible recommendations. A google search turns up pages of different companies all offering the cheapest rates and the most coverage!

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Feed your dog proper food if you can get it at a reasonable price RAW, this will take care of 90% of the problems, the other 10% will be taken care of by proper exercise and home based remedies readily available with some research. I had one beagle live to 17 years and my present pal is 12 years.

  4. #3
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I had pet insurance at one time- don't want to name the company. I found out it was better just to save for my dog's vet needs. There is a limit to how much they will cover ; you can pay out maybe $1000.00 over the year and then find out their limit to help is $1000: a lot of paper work is required /proof of expense . If you decide to go with insurance, read the fine print carefully.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  5. #4
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I had pet insurance at one time- don't want to name the company. I found out it was better just to save for my dog's vet needs. There is a limit to how much they will cover ; you can pay out maybe $1000.00 over the year and then find out their limit to help is $1000: a lot of paper work is required /proof of expense . If you decide to go with insurance, read the fine print carefully.
    Good advice there. Main thing to assess is what the premium is versus the payout. In most cases if you take the highest premium offered and squirrel it away in the highest interest bearing account yourself you'll be better of. Now if you're not a saver than ins is the way to go
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I had pet insurance at one time- don't want to name the company. I found out it was better just to save for my dog's vet needs. There is a limit to how much they will cover ; you can pay out maybe $1000.00 over the year and then find out their limit to help is $1000: a lot of paper work is required /proof of expense . If you decide to go with insurance, read the fine print carefully.
    I look at it a similar way, if you spend $50.00 on a bag of dog kibble that makes your dog sick in the end, your better putting that money towards a healthier food source, hopefully eliminating expensive vet bills also.

  7. #6
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I don't have pet insurance, but have read the paperwork that the vet gave me for my last 2 yellow labs. I figured that if I put the monthly payments away for a few years I'd come out ahead. Well as mentioned I think it is about 1 000 a year or more. My old boy was with me for 11.5 years with only one trip to the vets in that time at a cost of 700. My new girl is almost 3 and hasn't been to the vets, of course I'm not counting yearly shots and flea and tick stuff. I figure I'm way ahead of the game now and pray that nothing bad happens to my girl as I don't want to go through losing another.

  8. #7
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I put away $25.00 per week for my chocolate lab female. I figure if I don't need it I will have a nice chunk of change at the end of her days.

    If I need it then so be it. I heard many horror stories with pet insurance...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •