Thread: Rock piles in woods

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Rock piles in woods

8-10í piles with round rocks, Iím assuming these must be property markers. What if they donít line up? Also found a small one with flat split granite pieces not small round boulders about 6í long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Likely from former farm land, rocks come up every spring and farmers pick them to keep them from damaging their equipment and often have huge piles along fence lines. I find a lot of old remnants of fencing and rock piles, even dug wells and old foundations completely overgrown by forest.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Not fence lines. I have see those. These are 100 meters apart at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Definitely from old farming practices. I find these even in public forest that used to be farm land.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Just old materials from old farms or from big rocks in field that farmers threw to the field edge.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Depending where it is, you can look with Google earth or county/ region GIS map and see historic aerial photos as far back as 1950s. You might see what used to be there. I've checked on a couple things I've found that were totally swallowed by forest in roughly 40 years.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My guess would be piles made by the early farmer/settlers. As the rocks showed themselves in the fields over the years, they would hitch their horse to a "stone boat" and load up, then dump them somewhere out of the way. Very common back in the day.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

All above answers correct. We have stone piles and rows of stones on our 300ac forested camp, formerly a homestead.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Farmers stone piles. Where I live in the bush around me there are lots.
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If thatís the case than Iíve reformed many a wolf.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I Do not know were you are or how the stones are placed, were we are we have, several old trails called cairn lines. I think that is how you say it. showing you a direction to some were, also some old piles of rock, were old pieces of wood are still in the centre of some for a phone line from the 30s and 40s These are in the bush, probably from logging days.
    Never resent growing old, Many do not get the chance.