Thread: Stumbling on deer camps

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Stumbling on deer camps

Checked out a new spot today and ended up stumbling on a deer camp running dogs.
    Parked at a dead end as far to the side as i could, but unfortunately did not give enough room for the deer camp the next property over to drive by. Heard the trucks coming and went to move my truck. Talked with one Older guy who didn't seem too impressed I was there, told me they're running dogs all week. I assured him it was just myself and im staying on the marlborough forest land.

I know the parcel I'm on is public land surrounded by some private. Is it bad form for me to do my sit on public while they're running dogs towards me?
    Not hunting hard this week as my solid plan is controlled hunt in December

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Public land is just that, you have as much right to use it as everyone else.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Elite Member

User Info Menu

It’s hard to share the woods with dogs as they hunt large areas. Four stand hunters can comfortably share 160 acres, whereas as a party of hunters using hounds would need at least twice as much land.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As has been said, if you're on public land, then you're entitled to be there.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

last year I met a similar type of camp. they were super nice though.
    they were also running dogs on a Big parcel of crown, very good mutual respect and they showed me on map where they plan to set up and cover, and I showed them the funnel ill be setting up my stand on.

And I think I got one of the does they were pushing.
    meeting hunters in public land is like meeting someone at disneyland as a kid... if we understand that were both excited, and been waiting for at least a year for this, alot of mutual respect and support will follow. and of course if anyone tries to "cut in the line" childish events will follow, which is expected.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Probably the same guys i ran into in the Marlborough forest several years ago. I went about my hunt as normal. If they want to own the forest, they should buy it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

And speaking of stumbling, I've stumbled a few times at deer camp. Buddies helped me up, so it was all good. Didn't even spill my beer!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

i hunt on crown land and coming out of bush guys hung sign by my truck 10 guys hunting well after i was established there it didnt deter me

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3_88 View Post
    Checked out a new spot today and ended up stumbling on a deer camp running dogs.
    Parked at a dead end as far to the side as i could, but unfortunately did not give enough room for the deer camp the next property over to drive by. Heard the trucks coming and went to move my truck. Talked with one Older guy who didn't seem too impressed I was there, told me they're running dogs all week. I assured him it was just myself and im staying on the marlborough forest land.

I know the parcel I'm on is public land surrounded by some private. Is it bad form for me to do my sit on public while they're running dogs towards me?
    Not hunting hard this week as my solid plan is controlled hunt in December
    When hunting public land when other hunters are running dogs,always turn it to your advantage by finding a spot to sit down and get ready. I have no issue with taking Deer in front of other's dogs. Right place,right time.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

As others have stated. Public land, no issues.

I have always made a point if I'm on a parcel where there are other hunters, that I try and speak with them. Compare notes, find out what the local skinny is, and where they plan on being.

More than once, I've wound up hunting with them. Or getting contact info and going back out, making sure comms were established.

We are all brothers in the woods. Help each other, mentor each other. Being a *richard* never benefits anyone.
    Last edited by Bluebulldog; December 12th, 2022 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Used a cuss word.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH