Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Core Lokt 30.06 165 grains Jacked soft point.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Remington Core Lokt 30.06 165 grains Jacked soft point.

So I used this round this year for the first time and did not like the results, both deer ran at least 100 yards, both were boiler shots, one no blood trail, the other lots of blood. Both deer had way more damage to the meat than I experienced using Core [COLOR=#333333]Core-Lokt 30-06 Sprg, 180 gr, Core-Lokt SP.

[COLOR=#333333]I know the speed of the 165 grains is higher and it will kill a deer but the meat gets damaged and they still run away a good distance.+

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I used them for a few seasons and had the same results. My boys said they could tell which Deer Dad shot because there was a 5 lb roast missing. I kept the 165's for Moose that worked well. For the last few season,I've been using a .243Win-100gr sp's or my trusty Wingmaster 12ga with a rifled slug barrel when it's my turn for dogging.
    It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Lighter bullets at close range often over fragment on impact and do a lot of meat damage. Never had any issues with 180 corlocks
    They say the only good wolf is a dead wolf, If thatís the case than Iíve reformed many a wolf.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

haven't used a rifle in a long time but when I did I always use corelocks in the heavier weight and never had an issue with my 3006

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yeh guys I think my son had bought these and I picked up his box in the gun locker instead of mine which would be the 180,s. I never had any deer go any distance after being his with that bullet, need to pay closer attention.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I have found the 30 calibre rifles are too big for the whitetail deer in Ontario. I switched to the 7mm-08 and haven’t looked back.
    Gun control:Criminals who ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder, will obey a law that prohibits them from owning a firearm while disarming decent people from having access to firearms to deter criminals.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The speed difference between the 165 and 1800 gr is not that great at 100 y,and both are bonded bullets,thus designed to mushroom ,not to fall apart .I do not believe the bullet fragments at 100 yards-if hitting boiler room(unless hitting heavy bone at entry-which you would be able to tell)but the bullet tumbles and spins.
    Both can and will cause extensive damage upon exit-if hitting heavy bone at that location too(ripping OUTWARDS the muscle and meat)
    That causes major damage.

But i can be wrong.
    Gilroy-how and where was the entry point,and where the damage on the meat was?That will tell us the story.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    The speed difference between the 165 and 1800 gr is not that great at 100 y,and both are bonded bullets,thus designed to mushroom ,not to fall apart .I do not believe the bullet fragments at 100 yards-if hitting boiler room(unless hitting heavy bone at entry-which you would be able to tell)but the bullet tumbles and spins.
    Both can and will cause extensive damage upon exit-if hitting heavy bone at that location too(ripping OUTWARDS the muscle and meat)
    That causes major damage.

But i can be wrong.
    Gilroy-how and where was the entry point,and where the damage on the meat was?That will tell us the story.

Both deer hit at about 50 yards distance, first deer ran 100yards, lungs blown out and damage to rib cage, bullet entry just behind shoulder, but I was able to save the whole shoulder, just cut it off to clean up the mess a lot being caused because she lay on her side all night, lots of congealed blood. But not a single drop of blood came out of that deer until she dropped where there was a splatter 8 inches on a small tree bark.

The second deer hit almost exactly the same place just the opposite shoulder, she poured a blood trail for the entire distance she ran being about 100 yards.

The only difference I see in the bullets is the 165 grain is a pointed soft point and the 180grains I used to use were rounded soft points.

I have never had the damage I had with these 165 and the 180grains used to drop them in their tracks, all the same rifle Remington Woodmaster 30.06 carbine.

Last edited by Gilroy; November 14th, 2022 at 05:59 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

That will do it-big impact,flattened(to a great degree)bullet causing powerful shock

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The deer I got this year was hit with a Federal Power Shok 7MM-08 150 Grain Soft Point and went right through both lungs and hit the stomach on the way out. Not one drop of blood on the snow.
    Last years buck was through both lungs and very little blood on the leaves. The buck only went 50 to 75 yards and I almost never found him.
    Gun control:Criminals who ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder, will obey a law that prohibits them from owning a firearm while disarming decent people from having access to firearms to deter criminals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast