Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask a CO: If a buck sheds its antlers in mid-to-late December, is it considered antlerless?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    That's an amazing plucking job. What's your secret?
    No different than any other bird. Dip in scalding water( trick is getting the temp right). plucking a feather or to at a time with the grain. I like plucks wet method as feathers stick together so less mess with fly aways.

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    I do not know the turkey report-not hunting turkeys.

However:
    One has additional deer tag ,antlerless deer only(many WMU allows only antlerless lately)
    One shoots a buck, which shed his antlers already.
    Hunter reports on the mandatory report-what?

Same for the "antlered doe"-a hunter has buck tag only,shoots the doe with antlers-hunter reports what?(male or female)?
    you report exactly what you see(or don't see ) on top and what you see underneath.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've seen bull moose that have shed their antlers prior to the end of hunting season in the north. unless you were close, you'd think it was a cow.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I once thought pulling the fire pin on a firearm, was enough to render it disabled. However, that is not what the regulations say. They say it must also have a trigger lock for it to be considered disable. If I didn't have an antlerless license and came upon a buck that had shed his antlers. It would be a no shoot situation. I still recall a situation where a guy shot a doe and somehow attempted to attach antlers to it, I guess the CO though the deer's face looked too feminine when sited the guy. As for turkeys, hens sometime grow beards and are fair game in the spring hunt, but you better be able to recognize and see the beard on the live hen, before you shoot.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Last edited by Gun Nut; January 3rd, 2023 at 10:44 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I agree with fishhog, don't see why there such an issue here, it clearly states antlered or antlerless on the tag or both. If i has antlers shoot it, if you have the antlered tag. If no antlers and have antlerless tag shoot it, gender has nothing to do with it. Only thing is you want to make sure you bring the shed with you if it comes off the animal while moving it.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

gun nut, my 1st turkey was a bearded hen. it had a beard that was as long as some of the Tom's I have shot. Saw another one last spring, it had a massive beard and would have been shot, but a Tom stepped up just before I shot so took the Tom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12