Thread: Neat little Smokeless Build

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Neat little Smokeless Build

I put together another smokeless muzzy, This is more of a conversion rather than a scratch build.
    It started life as a 45-70 which is obviously rated for smokeless application and the breech plug I used is an ASG 209 plug , also designed for smokeless loads.
    It's a nice handy maneuverable little rifle for stalking or tree stand application and more than capable of shooting out to 300 yrds.
    It's a CVA Scout single shot break action rifle, complete with removable muzzle brake ,fluted barrel and integral one piece scope mount.
    This one weighs in a 8 1/2 lbs. scoped, which is considerably less then my bolt action rifles.
    I made a loading tube out of a 45-70 shell casing that was drilled thru and cut shorter to allow powder and bullet to get past the muzzle brake , the brake had to be rebored to fit the tube.
    I plan on using this sabotless so bullets need to be sized to fit the bore and this one requires .450 dia. bullets , but saboted 40 cal. loads can be used with the brake removed.
    This one will also be shooting more conservative loads, with expectations of muzzle velocities of 2500 fps.

Last edited by smokeeter; January 30th, 2023 at 12:04 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

New addition to the SML family. Does it have a name yet?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

A little update on this build, the Fed 209A primers sealed perfectly on the front of the primer with no leakage . I didn't really like the idea of removing the spent primer with a prong and the 45-70 extractor wouldn't work on the 209 primers so I made a custom extractor for this . It worked perfectly.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I am looking to complete this same build using a CVA Scout 45-70. I am just having a hard time finding a gunsmith that would thread the barrel for a breech plug. Do you mind sharing how/where you completed this in Canada?

Also, how does it shoot? I am thinking about using Hank's Precision HIS or DIS ignition.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Make sure you protect your hearing with good muffs when shooting it with that ported brake on it. I have a good friend who suffered profound hearing loss (his entire high frequency range is now gone) and now has constant tinnitus, from taking seven shots with a ported brake gun! Those electronic muffs work well when you’re hunting. Do the performance benefits of the brake outweigh the potential for permanent hearing loss? I have a braked Swiss K31 carbine that has a removable Swiss made brake on it. I shot the gun off the bench at 200 meters with the brake on vs. off, using premo GP11 ammo, barrel cooling time between rounds. My gun shot .69 moa with the brake and .88moa without it. A bit better with the brake but the blast was insane (noticeably much louder, even with muffs and foam plugs). I can’t say I noticed any recoil reduction with the brake, mind you the 7.5 x55 round is pretty low recoil in the heavy K31.
    Last edited by Fenelon; November 16th, 2023 at 03:21 PM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I made a bullet alignment tool to load thru the brake, It's made completely out of brass. The bolt/nut and .45 acp casing to hold the bullet and the trimmed 9 mm casing to act as a plunger to release the bullet once the bullet is aligned in the muzzle of the barrel.