Thread: Frost Scraping

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Frost Scraping

If someone wanted to scrap a deer hide or moose hide this video will show you the basics to frost scraping, a lot of guys in my area frost scrap bear hides using this method.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Interesting. As long as the weather is suitable, this looks a lot less messy than scraping a warmer hide with all the oils squeezing out. I'll try it if the weather is right and I have to eliminate another pest this winter. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by canthitathing; February 6th, 2023 at 02:20 PM.
    CCFR Member

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

When I trapped raccoons years ago I would put them on the scraping board after rough skinning them put them outside for an hour or 2 if the temp was cold. If not then I'd place them in the freezer. tThe fat would scrape off like butter with little mess.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redd foxx View Post
    Gibb said:

If someone wanted to scrap a deer hide or moose hide this video will show you the basics to frost scraping on this deer hide I've got after night hunt with my night vision scope, a lot of guys in my area frost scrap bear hides using this method.

When I trapped raccoons years ago I would put them on the scraping board after rough skinning them put them outside for an hour or 2 if the temp was cold. If not then I'd place them in the freezer. tThe fat would scrape off like butter with little mess.
    Just for general info, how much time do you have to scrape after the freezer method? I.e roughly how long does it take for hide to defrost?
    Last edited by Jimboishere; March 14th, 2023 at 02:38 AM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Jim those drying beaver don't appear to be lifted on the nails. Do they still dry OK without doing the 3/4" lift? I imagine you'd get less size shrinkage with having them tight to the board?
    I saw Inuit do that frost scraping on caribou and polar bear hides up in Rankin Inlet. They used caribou scapula, 3lb axe heads, and polar bear leg bones (cut at a 45 degree angle with a hack saw to give it an edge) to scrape the hides. The one old boy then used a big table spoon that had been file sharpened to clean up the face and around the legs. That's another a great video that you've made. It would be a big bonus for the fur course instructors to have a copy. I think you should shoot the video again but this time have one yellow, one black, and one brown pot-licker 95lb Lab getting in the way trying to scrounge up the meat shavings!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Just for general info, how much time do you have to scrape after the freezer method? I.e roughly how long does it take for hide to defrost?
    I didn't actually let them freeze, just stiffen up so the fat was like lard and not oily.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I don't raise my beaver unless the pelt is wet, waste of time. However I am working everyday on beaver so as soon as dry off they come.
    I am going to post a frost scraping video of a black bear should be of interest to bear hunters who want to scrap their bears fastest way I know off but you need at least minus 20C or -4F

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Low enough temps in our area would be a big issue. Most of the time,it's like a Vancouver climate. We call it "little Miami". For us,even having pelts ready to ship is a real sprint. There's very little time to prepare and ship.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.