Thread: 1st turkey of the season

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thumbs up 1st turkey of the season

I got invited out for a late afternoon turkey hunt and scored with this nice big Tom. My apprentice invited me along for the hunt, he had seen a bird strutting in this field yesterday but could not get it to budge.
    Today we got there and seen him in the middle of the wheat field a few hundred yards away. It spotted us at the same time and started moving away. We got busted but after watching him move 100 yds through the wheat field he disappeared.
    I told my hunting partner that I wouldn't be surprised it dropped down into the wheat field and is hiding. My hunting partner was a little skeptical as I told him our best bet is to walk toward the last spot we saw him and see if we can jump him. We split up, 50 yds apart and began walking toward the area looking for his head to peek out.
    After a few minutes and a few hundreds yds we were thinking it must have snuck away. A few yards later he just up right in front of me and with him under 10 yds it was an easy shot. I felt bad for the apprentice, I was hoping if it happened he would get the shot. Apprentice was happy for me though.
    Not the biggest beard maybe 7" but a very unusual one for me. Bird was big and heavy with about 1 1/4 " spurs.

"Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Beauty bird! Congrats....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Really nice bird. Has it got 2 beards?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Nice bird. Thats a unique beard for sure.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Really nice bird. Has it got 2 beards?
    No, just one big thick beard
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Congrats Frank, looks like the beard might have been longer, sometimes due to ice and rot the first few inches fall off regardless still a nice bird

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice bird and story, tonal for the beard rot but nice bird regardless
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

nice bird and good story. Apprentice learnt something out of that hunt.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

congrats Frank, you made it look easy once again. Hopefully your apprentice will get one his first year,
    ihunt

"life is 80% preparation and 20% perspiration"