Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Goodbye Southern Ontario Ruffed Grouse?

  1. #41
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I have seen more this year in southern Ontario than in many of the past years. I long thought the MNR was too slow at reducing the daily take to two, in reality a few years ago in southern Ontario you would be lucky to see two all season. The ones we are seeing are well educated, getting up at 60 yards ahead of you..
    "Without Proper Management Wild Life Becomes Your Next Hood Ornament"

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #42
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    In the past couple of years I've noticed that what I assume to be hunting pressure has really kept the birds deep in the thick away from any trails at a couple of spots I hunt. They run, they sneak, they almost never flush until on the other side of heavy edge cover. Sometimes the only way you know they are around are the tracks in the snow.

  4. #43
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    predator control wont hurt

  5. #44
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I’m just going by the areas I hunt, not one flush yet. I don’t hunt trail I get in the thickets and into transition zones and I have yet to flush one in my go to spots. There is No snow on the ground so I can’t confirm if numbers are down or birds are gone? But I’m not liking what I see.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

  6. #45
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I'm in WMU 90B down near the lake and there use to be good bird hunting many years ago and many believe with the reintroduction of Turkeys is the cause of the decline but in the past few years we have spotted them back in our area. My neighbours and I have agreed to not shoot any until more and larger family groups are established.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

  7. #46
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    im going to be hunting beverly swamp this weekend in 87D, ive seen a handful of grouse there in the last few years and even got my first grouse there a couple years ago. I will post back if I see anything.

    Whenever im there and i tell people im grouse hunting they tell me there arnt any grouse in there, even had a group of guys accuse me of target shooting back in there (not allowed to target shoot there) because they didnt believe i had been seeing any grouse. they were real shocked when i puled a dead one out of my hunting vest.

    they are out there, but super quick to flush. I noticed when I would wear my rain gear I would never see one, I learned it was because my rain gear was so loud when moving around that they would flush from super far, or I would just not hear them because of my gear. I switched back to my regular quiet stuff in the rain and I would be soaked but started getting flushes again.

  8. #47
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I'm a big believer in nature abhors a vacuum. When wild turkeys were extirpated in Southern Ontario ruffed grouse filled the habitat. Now the turkeys are back.

  9. #48
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyman View Post
    I'm a big believer in nature abhors a vacuum. When wild turkeys were extirpated in Southern Ontario ruffed grouse filled the habitat. Now the turkeys are back.
    The turkeys disappeared when humans introduced the disease that killed off the local Chestnut trees. Humans were the ones to re introduce turkeys back into the Province. Humans were also the ones who logged and opened up more suitable habitat for ruffed grouse. Nature abhoring a vacuum I believe has a lot less to do with it that our impact.
    Last edited by Gilroy; December 3rd, 2023 at 11:56 PM.

  10. #49
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    They say only 1 percent of life remains on earth. The other 99% of living organisms and life has come and gone.

    Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

  11. #50
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    They say only 1 percent of life remains on earth. The other 99% of living organisms and life has come and gone.

    Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Talking percentages... a good thing to remember is whether it's birds or bunnies.... 10% of all the cover out there holds 90% of the game
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •