Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second chance Draw for Moose

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Getting off topic but why was the season changed to a week back?
    We hunt an area that opens October 12th less than 3 km from my spot rifle season starts September 14th for rifle, it really makes no sense at all to me.
    The MNRF moved the season back (and out of the peak rut) to reduce the bull harvest -especially mature bulls. During the rut, bulls are more easily drawn into range by calling. Mature bulls are much harder to call in after the rut however yearling bulls are easier to fool. The number of bull tags available for the archery season were also reduced for the same reason. The opening dates in the far north were left unchanged so that the fly-in outfitters can run their hunts before ice forms on the lakes.

Back in the day, the MNRF believed that an annual 30% mortality rate was tolerable, but they have since learned that 10% is about the maximum that a herd can sustain. This all equates to shorter seasons and fewer tags.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    The MNRF moved the season back (and out of the peak rut) to reduce the bull harvest -especially mature bulls. During the rut, bulls are more easily drawn into range by calling. Mature bulls are much harder to call in after the rut however yearling bulls are easier to fool. The number of bull tags available for the archery season were also reduced for the same reason. The opening dates in the far north were left unchanged so that the fly-in outfitters can run their hunts before ice forms on the lakes.

Back in the day, the MNRF believed that an annual 30% mortality rate was tolerable, but they have since learned that 10% is about the maximum that a herd can sustain. This all equates to shorter seasons and fewer tags.
    Thanks, almost be nice they dropped the number of tags so could hunt the rut with a rifle, or closed the season early so doesn't run to December 15 to help out with harvest rates

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I just applied, when do the results of the second draw come out?

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    I just applied, when do the results of the second draw come out?

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
    August 1

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

We are almost there ...

To know the result ...!

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    August 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12