Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my first bear.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Got my first bear.

So went up this week and was pleasantly surprised to see some activity at the bear barrel, two really good looking big bears hitting but they were not coming out until 9.45pm or so and last shooting was 9.28pm so just beating me. Then as I continued baiting and sitting got one in at 5.20am and one in at 11.50am on Wednesday the 12th June. So I re baited just after 1.30pm that day when I checked the barrel was down and the camera revealed a smaller bear than the late evening bears.

I was going to start sitting at 3pm but got busy with other stuff and did not get out until 5pm, I was walking into the barrel and its knocked down again so I look over at it and know its been hit, I then get distracted by looking to my left where I have hung up a dead fawn in a tree seven feet up to see if that would attract a bear or maybe one of my local coyotes. I had found this fawn lying in tall grass in my front field and it looked like it was just sitting still, but on checking it was dead but not even stiff yet. I had captured a doe in that field on camera jumping into the air and later a coyote in the frame. So I was thinking maybe the coyote put the run of that doe and she never made it back to the fawn and it died of dehydration, otherwise not marks or injury on it.

So after I look back to the barrel I see a spot of black about racoon size appear and I, am thinking is that a fisher at the barrel, just then the BEAR pops up her head and part of her shoulders looking right at me, now this is only 40 yards max, I get the rifle up and as I am getting the crosshairs towards the chest, it bolts west, runs about 60 yards, stops, looks over its shoulder and simply walks away into the bush. I did not have a clear shot so that was that.

I knew the bear was not really panicked and maybe was not even sure what I was but it was not a real big bear , so I put some more bait in the barrel and sat it up again and went into the tree stand.

Checking my trail camera on that bait, that bear had come into the barrel about 4 minutes before I walked down the path on top of it.

So I sat in the stand and at 8.15pm I glanced off to my right, opposite to the barrel direction and in walks this bear, did not look up just walked under the stand and right over to the barrel, I got my phone out and got it on video for twenty seconds while I decided if it was worth while taking it. Decided on the shot and whacked it behind the shoulder, it dropped dead on the spot hardly moved an inch.

Got the sleigh down dumped it into it and dragged it out towards my open field and truck, probably about 400 yards. It did not look heavy but was plenty heavy pulling it. Got her dressed out and back at the cabin on ice packs, end of story.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Great hunt thanks for sharing.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Excellent!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your first bear. Your persistence certainly paid off. The challenge of bear hunting is addictive !! Did you get any pictures of bear ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yeh the wife took a couple of pictures, I was not to bothered as it was not exactly a trophy and took them of the cut open side LOL, I could probably post them don't know how long they would would stay up as they isn't pretty, I also took a twenty second video from the stand prior to shooting.

I have not had much luck of late getting anything posted on this forum for some reason.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

congratulations. Good eating there. Thanks for sharing.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first bear!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first bear
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't hunt bears, but enjoyed reading the well-written, exciting story.
    Congrats Gilroy, and thanks for sharing the experience!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

How do you like the meat?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast