Thread: A fawn, mother natures protection.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default A fawn, mother natures protection.

So as I said in the bear account I found this dead fawn in my field, perfect little female, no marks or injury just lying as if asleep in the tall grass and not even stiff yet.

So I decided to hang it up in a tree just near my bait barrel to see if I can attract a bear to pull it down or maybe fool a coyote to coming into range.

So as I left yesterday that fawn was still hanging about seven feet off the ground, none of the three bears had detected her since last Tuesday and I know they were in at the barrel, also after I had shot the bear the turkey vultures had cleaned up her guts the next day along with the ravens and probably a coyote (black scat on ground).

Those same turkey vultures had been to the barrel and where the bear was dropped and they also did not pick up on that fawn hanging.

My only thought was there really is very little scent from these fawns, be interesting to see in a week when I go back if its still hanging up.
    Last edited by Gilroy; June 16th, 2024 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added photo

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Jumping through the proper hoops that would make a fantastic full body mount. I have seen one before, odd but very cool.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Very little to no scent to a newborn fawn. It’s too bad that it died. Did you have any frost in the week leading up to finding it? It may have died from exposure.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    Very little to no scent to a newborn fawn. It’s too bad that it died. Did you have any frost in the week leading up to finding it? It may have died from exposure.
    No frost down here, it was south of Bancroft, my only though was I have two photos of a doe in mid air as if panicked and later a decent coyote right where she had been, got a funny feeling that bugger got hard on her trail and pressed her away from that fawn and it got dehydrated, not a mark of any sort on her body, looked like it was just lying still in the long grass two feet in from a mowed field.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Just had a look at the fawn and nothing left hanging, camera reveals a sow climbing up to it and I am assuming pulled it down to eat, only thing hanging is bones of hind legs, this is a large sow and she has FOUR nice small cubs with her.