Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Trolling motor battery

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    Which boat are you using ? Where (lake or with river stream)? Wind conditions?
    What is the trolling motor trust poundage?
    I run a 17' back troller with 25Merc 4 stroke. Big lakes like Scugog,Rice,Big Rideau and Bernard, Otonabee River/Trent Canal. The troller is a Motor Guide 48lb on a bow mount. The boat's older with all the goodies and a new Merc,but,it works better than most new rigs and takes high water like crazy.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I run a 17' back troller with 25Merc 4 stroke. Big lakes like Scugog,Rice,Big Rideau and Bernard, Otonabee River/Trent Canal. The troller is a Motor Guide 48lb on a bow mount. The boat's older with all the goodies and a new Merc,but,it works better than most new rigs and takes high water like crazy.
    So double 27ah in series gives about 8 hours runtime for 24V motor.. wow. That's amazing!

    I am in "deep dive" research now about whether to invest into Minkota endura max 12v +100ah lifepo4 battery

    To be installed in 17ft canoe for a week (or 2 week) trips to northern rivers with pretty strong current. Essentially the idea is to motor upstream and drift down however cannot figure out the charge situation (no shore power) and whether it would give a sufficient runtime for 10-15km (total) upstream runs.

    Any experience/advise?

  4. #13
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    So double 27ah in series gives about 8 hours runtime for 24V motor.. wow. That's amazing!

    I am in "deep dive" research now about whether to invest into Minkota endura max 12v +100ah lifepo4 battery

    To be installed in 17ft canoe for a week (or 2 week) trips to northern rivers with pretty strong current. Essentially the idea is to motor upstream and drift down however cannot figure out the charge situation (no shore power) and whether it would give a sufficient runtime for 10-15km (total) upstream runs.

    Any experience/advise?
    That distance upstream against the current will use up a lot of juice,for sure. Without shore power to recharge,I think you'll likely have a problem. Take an extra battery and maybe run a generator to recharge?
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

  5. #14
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Yep,I have two in series that work quite well. I'm getting 8 hrs continuous run time and recharge after every time out. Most of the time,though,I use the troller for positioning keeping me on weed lines or drop offs, then, I can use it for days.
    Next time your out test the voltage on return and see what charge rate your at. If below 12.06 or 50% don’t expect those to last very long. It will work but dramatically shorten the life of the battery

  6. #15
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishHog View Post
    Next time your out test the voltage on return and see what charge rate your at. If below 12.06 or 50% don’t expect those to last very long. It will work but dramatically shorten the life of the battery
    Will do. So far,so good,though. My last battery was a Nautilus that I used for almost 12 years before it would no longer take a charge. The second Nautilus I'm using for lights,pumps and engine start that's 5 years old is still strong. I have two 27aH batteries on a separate system for the troller,another Nautilus (5 years old) and the new Kirkland. I've had great service from them all. I believe the key is to charge them after each use to keep them up.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

  7. #16
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    So double 27ah in series gives about 8 hours runtime for 24V motor.. wow. That's amazing!

    I am in "deep dive" research now about whether to invest into Minkota endura max 12v +100ah lifepo4 battery

    To be installed in 17ft canoe for a week (or 2 week) trips to northern rivers with pretty strong current. Essentially the idea is to motor upstream and drift down however cannot figure out the charge situation (no shore power) and whether it would give a sufficient runtime for 10-15km (total) upstream runs.

    Any experience/advise?
    So my Zodiac has +/- 40 km range with 200 aH of 12 volt LifePO4. It is 13 feet long with 5 foot 6 inch beam and weighs 250 lbs empty. Against current I have no idea.

    Motor is a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota

    You should compare to a 2.5 to 4 hp short shaft tohatsu or similar as that may be a better option.

    Also max speed on a trolling motor no matter the thrust is about 8 km/hour. So at max throttle the best speed will be roughly 8 minus the current speed in km/hour when against the current. If current is faster then 8 you will go backwards.

    Coincidentally 8 is also about the max speed 2 guys with good technique can paddle a loaded canoe.
    Last edited by Species8472; June 29th, 2024 at 10:48 PM.
    The wilderness is not a stadium where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, it is the cathedral where I worship.

  8. #17
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    So my Zodiac has +/- 40 km range with 200 aH of 12 volt LifePO4. It is 13 feet long with 5 foot 6 inch beam and weighs 250 lbs empty. Against current I have no idea.

    Motor is a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota

    You should compare to a 2.5 to 4 hp short shaft tohatsu or similar as that may be a better option.

    Also max speed on a trolling motor no matter the thrust is about 8 km/hour. So at max throttle the best speed will be roughly 8 minus the current speed in km/hour when against the current. If current is faster then 8 you will go backwards.

    Coincidentally 8 is also about the max speed 2 guys with good technique can paddle a loaded canoe.
    Low speed is not a problem at all. (I don't think they current is above 8kmh on rivers we use it on)

    Originally, also considered a gas motor, however the weight/maintenance and had me arrive to electrical with large batteries

    Thank you for the info though.
    Good to get to real field numbers for comparison [emoji16]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •