Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fish coating/batter

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

We were at the cottage a few years back, and had no flour. My son however doesn't like rice krispies, and there were a few of the small single serve boxes left in the pantry. I put them in a bowl, pulverized them into powder, and then egged and dredged the walleye fillets in that.

That's pretty much how we do them all the time. It turns out so very crispy and light.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I enjoy most of the batters mentioned. But I love everything done in Peanut oil the best.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

1 can or bottle of beer your choice, Need 1 cup for mixing. 1 cup pancake mix,1 teaspoon garlic powder,1 teaspoon of onion powder,1 teaspoon of salt,1 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper. Mix all Dry ingredients together then add 1 cup of beer to mix the batter up. You can panfry or deep fry - while cooking, Drink the beer ,You deserve it and Enjoy!!!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Fish Crisp:

National Association for Search and Rescue

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I used to really like the uncle bucks from bass pro but I think they must have changed their recipe as it used to have cornmeal in it and it no longer does. It used to make it really nice and crispy outside, even the next day cold it would still have a crunch to it but not with the new recipe. For guys who like the dry batters (cronzy's and fish crisp) try out the cabela's brand "open season" coating mix, tastes similar to kfc spices, the hot one is good as well if you like a little heat. Same as the other make sure the oil is nice and hot to get a nice crisp outside. Can't get it in Canada that I have seen yet but in the US cabela's they have an "ovenable" open season coating mix which is still good and nice that you are not frying it every time, just wish it was in the Canadian stores as I am now out.

Just to clarify the Canadian stores do carry the regular and hot open season coatings it is just the "ovenable" coating I have not seen.
    Last edited by duckslayer; February 18th, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I just tried the Fish Crisp as I got a free sample with my OFAH renewal and it was fantastic! Haven't had such crispy fish in years and adding salt, pepper, garlic and just frying in a little oil and butter as you suggest was amazing. Def recommend this recipe to try on any fish!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bushman007 View Post
    I like to dredge my fillets in flour then dip then in egg then coat them panko breadcrumbs seasoned with lemom pepper
    Ya that !!!!!! Mmmmmm

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Beer Battered Fish n’ Rings

This is one of the first recipes for a good deep fry batter that actually works consistently on different fish and even works for things like onion rings. In fact, with the left-over batter and already hot oil, why not fry up a quick batch of rings!

This batter produces a thick, puffy and crunchy coating that will remind you of old English chip shops. Really great for making small fish fillets seem a whole lot larger J

It does NOT need a lot of oil. I use a cast-iron skillet with about 1cm of oil. The batter puffs up and floats easily. Cook to a dark brown, especially if cooking a larger piece of fish.

Don’t forget some lemon wedges.

This recipe has been tried with Ling (Burbot), Walley, Sauger. 100% thumbs up.
    Ingredients

Figure 1: fish made with thick batter
    Base Batter:
    1 cup flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    1 cup beer (or water)
    1 tbsp vegetable oil

Seasoning Suggestion:
    1 tsp lemon-pepper
    2 tbsp oregano
    Salt / pepper to taste.

Figure 2: Rings made with thinner batter

Fish:
    Cut fish into strips no more than 3 inches wide and 6 inches long. This ensures that it becomes easily coated, doesn’t fold in on itself (some types of fish will curl as they cook resulting in it lifting out of the oil, you don’t have to do this if using an immersion deep fryer). Small “fingers” are also easier to eat and serve for kids.

For very thick fillets (Catfish for example) consider also slicing the fillet into two thinner strips.

The fish should be drained of excess water, but needs no other treatment prior to battering. If desired or if fish is very wet, it can be shaken in a baggie of flour prior to coating.

Preparation:
    In a cast-iron fry-pan, fill to about 1cm deep of vegetable oil and turn on high.

Add all ingredients to a deep bowl and whisk until well blended and smooth. You may need to add some extra water. The batter should be very thick, it should stick to the whisk and everything else that touches it. Think “glue”.

If you add an extra ¼ cup of water the recipe still works well, you get a much thinner coating which is good for onion rings. Depends on personal preference.

Dump the fish into the batter. It should be thick enough that the pieces have to be stirred in to coat them.

Once the oil is hot (can be tested by putting a tiny drop of batter in the pan, batter should immediately swell and bubble), lift fish pieces with a fork (stab them) or with fingers. Lay them carefully in the oil so they don’t touch. Spots with no batter are easily touched up.

Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, then using tongs, turn each piece. They should be golden brown, if not then turn back and allow to continue cooking until desired brown and crunch is reached. Pieces should be bubbling strongly, if not then oil is too cool. If using non-cast-iron skillets, you may also find that pieces of fish have to be added one at a time to avoid rapidly cooling the oil.

Once both sides are browned, remove fish to a paper-towel covered plate and serve quickly for best results.

Last edited by scarkner; February 28th, 2016 at 02:22 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turkinator View Post
    pancake batter works best. Gotta have lots of oil in the pot though. Add saltha and pepped to the mix and mmmmmmmmmm......
    I second pancake batter. You can use beer instead of water, add lemon pepper spice, Cajun spice, Montreal Chicken spice or anything else you want. TC

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I thought everyone caught and released all their fish lol

Depends on the fish to me, lake trout I go with more of a Cajun flour/ bread crumb batter I make myself and fry as hot as possible in oil for as short a time as possible. Serve with vinegar or tartar.

walleye different tactic lightly breaded in flour or just spiced in lemon pepper and salt and pan fried over a medium heat in margarine and butter.. Serve with real lemon and seasoning salt