Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite fish coating/batter

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Rocky madsons and butter can't go wrong.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I like to mix an egg into some Carnation evaporated milk and dredge the fillets in this and then roll them in corn flake crumbs. Then fry in hot oil or lard............................Daniel

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I've had some great luck with the brodies pastry flour and 7UP A couple of other things ... I went to a microbrewery last night and they had a dark smokey flavored beer I thought it would be great to try in a batter unfortunately none was available to take home butthere is lots of it at the lcbo. Also I read somewhere and maybe on here not sure but milk in the batter helps the fillets to brown up quicker??

I found this one on the internet and it has some interesting concepts never tried but definitely will.

Regular flour
    4 CUPS
    2 EGGS
    1 TSP BAKING SODA
    2 TBS OF VINEGAR
    1/8 CUP OF OIL
    PINCH OF SALT
    NOT SURE ON THE WATER OR BEER THOUGH TILL IS IT JUST THE RIGHT CONSISTENCY. SO IT RUNS OFF BUT NOT LIKE WALL PAPER PASTE

make sure you dredge the fillets in flour before putting in the batter!!!!!!!

THE REACTION BETWEEN THE VINEGAR AND THE BAKING SODA GIVES YOU A REAL LIGHT BATTER AND THE OIL MAKES IT CRISP UP NICELY. NOT SURE HOW THE OIL WORKS BUT ALWAYS DONE THAT. TRY IT IN YOUR FAVOURITE BATTER RECIPE YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE
    Last edited by Camp Red Maple; August 31st, 2018 at 06:51 AM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I second the club house beer batter,tried all the commercial blends and some home made as well can’t beat clubhouse.mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Danz View Post
    best I've had is CLUB HOUSE beer batter.
    -tatstes just tlike fish and chips.
    -very nice and crispy and doesnt mess up the oil at all.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

time to bring this topic back to the top. Hard water season is here, looking forward to trying some of these on the ice.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Wenger View Post
    Rocky madsons and butter can't go wrong.
    Yep,Fish Crisp and butter fried...............E-E-E-Y-Y-U-U-M-M-M!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I’ve got a new one that is better than anything I have done in my life. You would think you get it from a fish and chips shop. Light and crispy.

2 cups flour
    1 cup water
    1 cup milk
    2 tbsp baking powder
    1 tbsp baking soda
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together, dip fish pieces (I like to cut fillets down into smaller chunks) and deep fry.

Try me, you won’t go back.
    Last edited by kdp89; July 27th, 2020 at 06:42 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will squander all his earnings, relationships and free time.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Fish crisp and fried in the bacon grease. Serve for breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by kdp89 View Post
    I’ve got a new one that is better than anything I have done in my life. You would think you get it from a fish and chips shop. Light and crispy.

2 cups flour
    1 cup water
    1 cup milk
    2 tbsp baking powder
    1 tbsp baking soda
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together, dip fish pieces (I like to cut fillets down into smaller chunks) and deep fry.

Try me, you won’t go back.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TyHill View Post
    My Favorite recipe I make ahead of time is

1c. AP Flour
    1 Tbsp of Salt
    1 1/2 Tsp of Ground Pepper
    1 1/2 TBSp of Paprika

This is the original recipe (came from a book I think?). For my own tastes I add Garlic Powder and a bit of Cayenne As well..
    Store in a Mason Jar.

I mix this with beer to make a thin coating and then coat the fish in panko before frying..
    Hmmm sounds very yummy! I will send this recipe to my mother as she is visiting her sister in her property in Rome here. I know that she loves fish and I am sure she will give a try with this one. I will write later on this week of her thoughts and experience about it
    Last edited by Edozze; April 21st, 2021 at 09:50 AM.